Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Natural?

Nepenthes bicalcarata x ampullaria- does this happen in the wild naturally?

is this a hybrid?

can one strain pollinate with another strain of the same species and create a new strain naturally?

does anyone know of any books or webpages about this i would not know where to start?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, it's a natural hybrid.
    I don't know what you mean by "strains". All Nepenthes are interfertile (though some in diminished quality/quantity of seed: ventricosa x spathulata i.e. IIRC).
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interfertile?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A strain would be a plant with a certain trait that, when self-pollenated, would yield offspring with the same trait 100% of the time. If a strain of plants pure for yellow flowers got interbred with a strain of plants pure for red flowers, 100% of the offspring would show the dominant trait, which we'll say is red flowers. red- flowered offspring wouldn't be pure though, and if self pollinated would yield 3:1 red flowered:yellow flowered offspring. So it wouldn't really be a "strain." I might be wrong though! Why do you ask?
    I am such a nerd...
    Try searching for "mendelean genetics"
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interfertile means when any two nepenthes really love each other, one being male the other female, they decide to have nepenthes love. Nepenthes don't care about their differences, when it comes love. Because in the end, they're just desperate for anything! Soon after that special moment, the male grows tired of the female and starts looking for other things to do, such as bother his grower by producing smaller leaves for no reason at all. Meanwhile, the female nepenthes produces tons of seeds! Which soon after, are quickly wisked away by the ebay stork and sold to people all over the world!

heh... sorry it's Friday and I'm bored. lol
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i ask because its really confusing and i dont really understand it even though i would like too. anyone have anything to add? thansk for the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8) in all seriousness though can anyone explain that more scientifically or is there a webpage somewhere for this, even a recommended book?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean I don't understand why the word strain would be used with regard to a normal species or natural hybrid. Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, interfertile means any species can breed with any other species. Google interfertile to found out more about it. To find out why there isn't an abundance of hybrids around, look up "dioecious", "pre-zygotic hybridization barriers", and you know, some of that other stuff (like male:female sex ratio).
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast