What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nothing seems right in cars

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Title :Gary Numan - Cars

This is lyrics from www.lyrics007.com
Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Here in my car
I can only receive
I can listen to you
It keeps me stable for days
In cars

Here in my car
Where the image breaks down
Will you visit me please?
If I open my door
In cars

Here in my car
I know I've started to think
About leaving tonight
Although nothing seems right in cars

My car is driving me nuts! Several weeks ago, the day before we were intending to bring our car in to deal with a transmission fluid leak - the car dies, while I'm driving to work, at the foot of the Grand Island Bridge. Long story short, we ended up getting a rebuilt transmission put in. On my way to work again the transmission dies. A week later we get the car back and all of a sudden the speedometer seemed off. 65 mph seemed to be 55. 50 was more like 42. Going by an unmanned meter, 35 mph was reading 30.

A few weeks ago the blower / fan freezes in the perpetually on position. Turning it off only redirects where it goes. A few days later the clock, radio, and CD player dies. But that had an easy fix - a fuse.

A couple days after that the driver's power window goes down.... but doesn't come back up. I took it to our repair shop and I guy spends maybe 10 minutes on it, pulling it apart and putting it back together again. No parts were replaced but I got charges $57 for labor.

And yesterday I go to open the drviver side door and the handle doesn't open the door. Dare I ask what else will happen today... or tomorrow?! ??? :0o: :-O

Learn to fix things yourself. It will save you lots of time and money, and it's fun. Most car problems are pretty easy to deal with and can be done with normal tools, unless you have to take the engine/transmission out.

And the speedometer isn't broken, they just didn't adjust it when they put the new transmission in. Changing the transmission or tire size will cause the speedometer to read differently. Either take it back and make them fix it, or just compensate since you know its off by about 5 mph.

That's a strange sequence of problems. Did you recently desecrate an ancient burial? If so, expect things to get worse, much worse, and soon.

Otherwise, it's just a case of independent events piling up on you at one time. Not entirely independent, since the transmission fluid leak, transmission failures and speedometer problems are related. And maybe the window and door problem are related too. Especially if the driver was getting more and more annoyed and was slamming the door harder and harder. Or maybe moisture built up in the door and corroded everything. That was one of the first things I had to deal with when I bought an old Alfa almost 25 years ago.

Moving on to PK's recommendation to do your own work, that's what I did all the way through my teens and 20s. I enjoyed it and worked on friends' cars too. But then came family and work and my attention was drawn to other things. The Alfa is long gone and we have a Ford Focus station wagon and I don't do much more than change wiper blades.

Sounds like our experience with a Dodge Grand Caravan. While the minivan was our worst nightmare experience, we have poor 'luck' with most American vehicles. Each time I start to feel bad and want to support American labor & companies, I regret it - big time. Now I try to compromise by purchasing Honda (prefer) or Toyota that are built in US...

I drive a 1999 Honda Accord EX, (made in NC, USA) with 200,000 miles, and it's still going like new! although paying $72 for gas today is taking a heavy toll on my bog hunting expeditions! :-O

Rich

My wife had me see if I can find a place in town to deal with our one tire's slow leak. So I went to the Dunlop dealer nearby and it turned out to be something called a TPMS, referring to the cracked valve stem. That was a mere $110! Isn't a brand new tire cheaper? I suggested duct tape....

I feel for ya. Shoulda been like $10-20. Are there any Farm and Fleet places near you ?

$110 for a valve stem?!? Many tires are cheaper, but it depends on what the car takes.

No Farm & Fleet in this region. Did I mention that the door handle on the inside of the door ceased functioning and the way to open the door is to roll down the window and unlock it from the outside? Well now that window is off its track and fell down into the door. Can't wait for that tax rebate check to get here, so we can fix all these stupid things!

Back