Thread: Look what I just found on my carpet

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better your carpet than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Well my old prof responded and told me, "spider IDs are hard, but it's some sort of wolf".
    Heh.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a wolf spider. They get huge. *shudder*

I've had some pretty bigs one here at my house. Also golden orbs...BIG.

If one of those got on me, I'd die.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK- I LOVE the big garden orb weavers. I have them in my garden every year. Argiope, Araneus, etc. are completely harmless. You can handle them very safely and they are not the least bit nippy; albeit they are really large and scary looking. Wolf spiders will usually nip if they are carrying an eggsac or spiderlings on their back or if it's a hobo spider. Hobo's will bite without the least bit provocation and are considered to have an extremely toxic bite. It's one of the 3 medically significant spiders in the US, the other 2 being brown recluse and black widows...I love the widows by the way. Very pretty spiders. I know...I'm wierd.

PK- We also have those camel spiders (Solifugids) here in CA. We occasionally get them in the house. They're frightfully fast and the creepiest looking things around. What a set of jaws! Some species will actually charge after you if they feel threatened. Type in 'camel spider' on youtube and look at the horrific videos of these demons. It's the stuff nightmares are made of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK philcula officially creeped out. As stated before in my opinion the only good spider is a dead spider. Mental note never move to California, camel spiders, earthquakes and the like. We'll stay in the midwest where there are black widows, brown recluses, deer ticks and tornadoes. I feel much safer.

I must confess liking the golden orbs or garden spiders as I was raised. We fed them grasshoppers as kids.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah before I knew they were Solifuges, I knew them as "wind scorpions" because of how fast they run.

look at the horrific videos of these demons
    LOL! They are pretty terrifying looking, but I've only ever run into one once. Hopefully it was the first and last time.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I lived in Louisiana I found a Brown widow one time in my garage she was scary and big I wished I had a camera at the time we killed it. =\

I do like garden spiders since despite their size they don't bite like most spiders so I leave them be.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil

I remember that you like spiders. I know the Argiopes are harmless but they get so big! It creeps me out. lol In my garden, I saw another huge spider that I didn't know what it was. It had a fat round abodomen. It was just a little ways from the orb. I felt like I was in Texas! I couldn't get a good pic of the round one but here are a couple of pics of the orb. If she had spread out, she would have spanned my entire hand. I think she was the biggest I've ever seen. After seeing her and the other spider, I abandoned my weeding plans... Look at the size of that spinneret!

Another denizen of my garden that I had a very unpleasant encounter with was this pretty fellow. They STING! And it hurts! A saddleback catepillar. You don't want to bump up against this guy (they are usually underneath a leaf where you can't see 'em).
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides those nasty house centipedes, we get a lot of those tiny little jumping spiders. I've never seen one devouring another insect, but they don't bother me and stay small, so I don't squish them like any other insect I see in the house.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast