Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arrgh! Thiefs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow a lot of miniature succulents. Last summer, a bunch of them dissappeared overnight out of their pots. This spring, I found a chipmunk burrow under my growing bench, so I think I know who the culprit is.
    I've never had my plants stolen by a human, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem in my greenhouse. People were coming in and stealing stuff at night. I ended up putting a hawthorn right in front of the door as I left and took some of those landscape staples and upturned them in the walk way in between the cinderblocks. About a week after setting up the greenhouse, I awoke one morning to find a foot-sized section of land scape staples missing in one spot and sitting on the ground a few feet away.

Haven't had a problem since.
    -J.P.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy. Catch one person and make an example out of that person. Years ago, I had a boy sneak over my 6 foot tall fence, and steal some plants and other things. I sued his parents.
    I also scared the **** out of him with my AK-47.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Easy. Catch one person and make an example out of that person. Years ago, I had a boy sneak over my 6 foot tall fence, and steal some plants and other things. I sued his parents.
    Believe me, I haven't been to Ozzy's house since.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AK-47 .........Is it ok to carry asult weapons in your state??!!!!!!!!
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no!!! The only thing worse than bringing the bible into a discussion here is to call something an assault weapon. Let's hope Rattler and a few others are away for a few days.

As for plant thieves, you do what you have to do. Most of my CPs spend the summer within a few feet of the sidewalk, with no protection by fence, security system or weapon that is similar in name or appearance to a fully automatic firearm. I stole that description from Wikipedia, by the way, and I'm glad Wikipedia doesn't guard its property with one. My CPs live within reach of the sidewalk because it's one of the few sunny spots available for them.

If I lived a mile east of here, I would have lost many or all of those plants to thieves if I made taking them so easy. I'd either not have them or I'd keep them in a safer location. Growing plants on a roof isn't a bad option and I've often thought about building a growing area on the garage because it gets so much sun. Although I was think of a place for potted fig trees more than for CPs.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HPLH View Post
    chicken wire with poison ivy
    Lol. You wouldn't believe the number of people around here who are immune to that stuff.

I'd say 9/10 people aren't affected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Lol that's freaking awesome. That would be great if you just jumped out of the bushes all obscene-like with night vision, kevlar, and an AK 47. I wish cali didn't have their lame gun laws. Of course, as far as scaring would-be-thieves away, any gun would work.

Mark.ca, many states other than CA allow AK's and a slew of other sweet rifles. They are only dubbed assault rifles in the states that don't allow them because it helps with public support. Also, the bank robbery in LA by two AK-47 wielding clowns didn't exactly help their image when the cops got overwhelmed by two guys. Back in the early 90's though, you could buy a mac-10 or a an AK 47 in CA. If I recall correctly too, the machine gun ban had expired for a short time as well and you could buy factory machine guns. Now, you can still buy a machine gun, but they are no longer being produced for civilian purchase, so the price will only go up from here (think 20,000$ +).

Anywho, that sucks to hear Mr. Flytrap. I had always thought that you grew your plants inside a shed or something? Couldn't it be locked? Or do you also have more plants outside? Anywho, placing cameras that are visible to those walking by, is a deterrent nonetheless, regardless of whether you're watching or recording. This is why places like Wal-Mart and Target have many more fake camera domes than real ones. As a deterrent.
    - Daniel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast