Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gator pics, lots of gator pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll never understand the basic human instinct to feed alligators, bears, etc.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    I'll never understand the basic human instinct to feed alligators, bears, etc.
    Because they are oh so cute! Mmmmm...

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those actually help with temperature regulation. I can't remember how, though.
    The dorsal osteoderms (scales with bone inside) are very rich with blood vessels. When the gator needs to warm up, it shunts blood to them and the sun warms the blood, which in turn warms the rest of the gator. When the gator wants to retain heat, it shunts blood away, so it won't lose heat to the outside.

And technically they are prehistoric - the genus of modern alligators is about 34 million years ago, before cats split from other carnivores.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically, every genus is prehistoric, since that means prior to written records.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I KNOW that...but...you know what I mean. They remind me of one of my plastic dinosaurs I had when I was a kid. I loved playing with those in the bath tub. I'd stay in the tub until I was all blue and pruney. (Much like I am now only sans the water).

I believe the one I am thinking of is the smilodon...something like that. I called him Smiley (one of those very original names kids come up with). His back was covered in an armor of scaley things [that's a techincal term, Bruce...you might need to look it up...lol... ).

Edit: NOT Smilodon...but his name was Smiley.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123