Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Gas Station Pic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahahhaa
    here is the gas prices for our area...this is a station right up the road.
    its pretty rediculus actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoting a bunch of hacks proves what?
    So USAToday, The Wall Street Journal, and ABC (among others) are "a bunch of hacks"? Just where do you get your news from

al-Zarqawi’s presence in northern Iraq means nothing,
    No, it proves that he was in Iraq before the US invasion running terrorist training camps.

Many believe his image was boosted by US propaganda
    Who cares? That doesn't mean he wasn't there, doing terrorist things, with Saddam's full knowledge.....because he was. Also, Zarqawi was just one guy that's a good example. There were plenty of other terrorists there too. All the people in his training camps, the guy operating out of an Iraqi office, etc, etc.

Personally, it's hard for me to definitively say if going into Iraq was a good idea or not. I think it can both ways depending on your personal views and what you look at. However, the idea that Saddam was not exporting terror in any way, shape, or form is either completely ignorant, or down right laughable (I could think of a better word...) at best. Even if you think Zarqawi wasn't there (which he was) and that he wasn't doing terrorist things (which he was), Saddam has been proven to back (at least financially) other terrorist groups, though not usually ones with the goal of an Islamic state. Being a secular dictator didn't make him any less guilty of having a terror state. Hell, he committed terrorist acts against his own people....
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Alaskan oil into the mix, the reserves are big but not THAT big, as in big enough to force prices down to reasonable levels. With the huge and ever increasing demand, the best we could hope for is for the prices to rise more slowly... unless all of that oil goes directly to domestic consumption. Even then, so? It would not magically fix all the price problems.

). Plus, if we lost some species (which will happen anywhere you drill), so what? 99.9% of anything to ever live is extinct....do we REALLY need a seal with 5 hairs on its cheek instead of 3? And that's if it even happened. New species specifically adapted to disturbances will rush in to fill the gaps, and life goes on. I'm into environmental responsibility and all, but there's a point where it just gets ridiculous.
    Fail. People causing a species to become extinct and vanish that might not have otherwise (or evolved into new species) and justifying it "because species go extinct" is like someone walking up to a random person and shooting them in the head because everyone dies. New people will move in to fill that persons role, so its OK.

Same justification. And just as faulty.
    that makes no logic

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again I'll quote Ronald Reagan Jr.

Ronald Regan Jr. : "I guess because I listened to the 9/11 commission and read their report and they said that Saddam hussein was not supporting terror"
    I see you got your info from wikipedia. There was also terrorist in the US, does that mean we support terror?

Just because he was there does not mean that Saddam was keeping terrorists.

Everything you showed says that Zarqawi went to Iraq for the sole purpose of killing Americans, and I believe that. I can't help it if you take that as meaning Saddam supported terrorist. Just because you heard some crackpot say it and you're like a sheep and follow whatever they say don't make it true. The invasion of the US was no secret, so I'm sure some terrorist showed up to start making plans before the invasion, that still does not mean that Saddam supported. Saddam was desperate because he knew we were coming. He probably probably let in anybody that was willing to fight us. The fact is, Saddam didn't support al-Quaeda and you can't show any proof that he did.
    The fact is the US supported al-Quaeda more than Saddam did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 9/11 commission did not prove Saddam was not supporting terror. It said they "found no functional link between Saddam and Al Qaeda [in regards to 9/11]". You are taking that as, "there is no link between Saddam and terrorism". That's your fault for horribly and completely misinterpreting the report.

Yeah, I put a link or two up from Wikipedia, what's your point? The majority were not from Wikipedia, and they echoed the same points.

There was also terrorist in the US, does that mean we support terror?
    Let's not be completely silly here. We aren't giving terrorists in our country weapons, or money, or turning a blind eye to them while they set up training camps, etc.

Just because you heard some crackpot say it and you're like a sheep and follow whatever they say don't make it true.
    Yes, because I quoted numerous sources which included The Wall Street Journal, ABC, USAToday, and others, that makes me a sheep following crackpots. Let's get serious here. You're sticking to a horrible personal misinterpretation of one source, that admits that they didn't know for sure, while ignoring multiple others. That makes you sound tragically uneducated.

The fact is, Saddam didn't support al-Quaeda and you can't show any proof that he did.
    I have shown multiple proofs, you're just ignoring them. On the other hand you have shown nothing besides a flawed report, and "because Ozzy said so". You're embarrassing yourself by ignoring proof and having basically no argument. AGAIN, he gave terrorists weapons, had contracts with Al Qaeda/helped them, harbored the guys that bombed the WTC in 93, had a terrorist operating as an arm of the Iraqi state, etc. But hey, all the reputable sources I quoted clearly mean nothing, because ozzy doesn't believe them! Sorry champ, but the truth isn't subject to a vote. If you can't believe fact, that doesn't make it any less true. You seriously should look into the abundant evidence instead of steadfastly clinging to one faulty report. I wouldn't have made some of the statements you did for fear of my personal integrity being called into question....and rightfully so.

This is like arguing with a brick wall built on fallacy and misconception. Tragic.

And just for the record, "crackpots" = some random guy with a livejournal or something posting nothing but opinions that are way out there. On the other hand, I've used information from the Wall Street Journal, The New York Sun, New York Post, ABC, the DoD, CBS, etc, etc. Let's get our definitions straight before we just start randomly talking, k? I appeal to the audience's sense of rationality and reason to see that my opponent's argument is clearly and severely lacking....so much that he must resort to calling my reputable sources horrible, while providing absolutely none of his own . Laughable indeed!
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Plus, if we lost some species (which will happen anywhere you drill), so what? 99.9% of anything to ever live is extinct....do we REALLY need a seal with 5 hairs on its cheek instead of 3? And that's if it even happened. New species specifically adapted to disturbances will rush in to fill the gaps, and life goes on. I'm into environmental responsibility and all, but there's a point where it just gets ridiculous.
    You're right!!!
    Why bother trying to preserve Sarracenia? The NASC should just grow one type. I mean, they're pretty much the same, no? Oooh- sorry, one's a bit more red than the other.
    And Neps? Gimme a break! This one's got SPOTS and this one's got teeny little hairs. Blah, all the same. I'm sure there are plenty of sedges, shrubs, grasses that'd be more than happy to fill in for these plants.

Honestly, who'd miss 'em?
    Catchin' what I'm throwin'?
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Catchin' what I'm throwin'?
    Yep. This is just a general answer to both you and finch (forgot to answer him). This is the way I think about it. We clearly have an oil-based economy, correct? The increase in oil prices is increasing the price of oh, I don't know....everything. Most importantly for our survival, food. There are two prevailing economic theories about what will happen in the future based on our debt-based money system and oil . A) The US will continue on indefinitely because it is in the interest of everyone. B) The US economy will crash, and we'll suffer a horrible depression, rivaling the Great Depression....but it will be worse. Scenario A clearly is not going to be the case, because China and the Middle East don't give a damn about the US, nor do they need us (though those Saudis love our money and weapons). Europe's economies are walking circles around ours as well, and though they wouldn't be as profitable, they could certainly continue to survive if the US crumbled. How could scenario B be worse than the Great Depression? The simple answer is that we're no longer such an agrarian society, and most people live in urban areas. During the GD, the opposite was the case, and most people still ate, though not too frequently....at least they survived. If we have an economic depression of that sort again, a very, very large number of people would die of starvation and malnutrition. So, in my mind, avoiding or at least staving off that disaster seems a much better idea than keeping around a seal with an extra 2 hairs, especially if 3-haired seal would proliferate in its place.

Will someone show me some reputable numbers of what kind of an effect it could have on the environment? The closest I've found is, "environmentalists fear....". Environmentalists (the militant ones) are always kooky, and no one's fears amount to fact...

It's not unusual for some people to have to drive 60 miles to work, one way. Maybe that's the only job they could find because our economy is horrible, maybe they have to live there because of their spouse, maybe they can't afford to live closer to work, etc. From: http://www.dailyfueleconomytip.com/m...muting-longer/
    the number of people with an hour or longer commute grew over 50% from 1990 to 2000.
    Because a ton of people have trucks/SUVs, and most of those vehicles get relatively the same MPG, let's just go with 18mpg. 120 miles per day divided by 18 mpg times 3.90 (what gas is here) = $26 per DAY in fuel costs, just to get to work and back.
    Median household income in the US is about $48,201. Divide that by 2 (2 working parents), then divide it by 2080, the number of hours worked per year (40 * 52), which means these people are making approximately $11.58 an hour, or $92.64 per day. However, once you subtract gas costs of JUST going to work, we're already looking at a net profit of $66.64. Federal income taxes on that household income are probably what....25%? So we're looking at people being left with $36,151 after federal taxes (if the rate is that low), minus $6,760 ($26 per working day X 5 days per week X 52 weeks), or $29,391. That's only $29,391 left over for state and local taxes, insurance, other gas needed to get places other than work, food (which is also going up because of gas), and other things. Since American incomes aren't rising, if more gas isn't drilled and it does hit $6 or $7 a gallon like most people predict it eventually will, which of course will make food prices go up even more, can you see what kind of problem we're going to be in? There's going to be a point where people can't afford to go to work anymore, and ergo won't be able to afford to eat with no money, or will continue working just to cover bills, but again will have food problems.

All that in consideration....I think me being able to eat is a hell of a lot more important than letting some polar bears stomp around. Sitting there starving thinking, "at least the caribou are happy!" is not going to make that situation any better.
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The US is flushing itself down the toilet because we won't stop building in an incredibly wasteful way that requires huge energy consumption before an employee even arrives at work. We also wash way too much soil and too many nutrients out to sea to produce our food and waste an awful lot of water too. We're a far greater threat to ourselves than 1,000 Osama bin Ladens could ever dream to be.

Whether we want to or not, we have to change. We can either do it while having some control over the process or we can wait until after we crash and burn. It basically is a question of how much we take down with us. I'd be happier knowing that polar bear, caribou and, yes, Sarracenias, survive and thrive. Even if Texans who are all hat and no cattle have to climb out of their trucks, put their boots on the ground and walk.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast