User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 56 of 89

Thread: near as i can figure he must be a freaking idiot

  1. #49
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know we got the graphic slideshow of STD's. It made me afraid to ever have sex again lol. Some of them were so terrible, you couldn't tell the gender. It reminds me of those Valtrex commercials when one person says "I have genital herpes" and the other says 'And I don't." I don't think I could be with someone who has an incurable STD, no matter how much I love them.

    Didn't say it wasn't important. Darfur is very important, but it doesn't play a big part in my every day life. The holocaust is important. Tibet is important, HIV and cancer research are important, but they don't play a part of my every day life. I don't feel I have to kneel down and pray. If I want to "talk" to God, hell, I can do it while washing dished and no one would be the wiser. I don't feel I have to say grace, I don't feel I have to do many ritualistic things. To me, ritualism is just tradition. It's the intent behind it that counts, not the actual act. I guess that's why I feel catholics waste so much time with rituals lol. You can even think about it all day, every day if you want, and carry on deep, meaningful "conversations" with God if you want... but you can do that and keep it in private and not stick Jesus fish on your car, and put the ten commandments on your lawn, and ask complete strangers if they'd like to talk about Jesus.

    Please elaborate because I'm confused of your first sentence in your last paragraph. Would God want me to go to church and read the bible and all that? Probably. Or, I can be close to him by watching a sunset, or looking at mountains, and sitting on my butt and pondering philosophical issues. IMO, God wants us to be close to him. As far as I'm concerned, how we go about that is personal preference. Or do you think it's not better than nothing at all, and that I MUST conform to the standards of a minority (people who go to church) and do to something I feel uncomfortable? Of course this would go into the new-age liberal hippie christian category, and you may disagree with that, but I don't feel that formality and ritual is necessary.

    And this is something that may surprise you. I actually DO listen to one christian "rock" band. I happen to think some stuff by Skillet sounds good.

    This isn't meant to be sarcastic or challenging at all, but do you at least comprehend where I and people like myself are coming from on these liberal opinions? I know you disagree with it, profoundly so, but do you understand how we can think these things? Can you comprehend it? I can completely see why conservatives think the way they do. I still think they're ignorant, but I can comprehend how they arrive at their conclusions. Can you at least see our reasoning behind our opinions?

  2. #50
    rattler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    missing, presumed dead
    Posts
    8,554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we get more oil from Venezuela than the middle east, i doubt we will quit buying from them
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

  3. #51
    Outsiders71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    Before I start, I just want you to know that I respect you, Outsiders71. You are a participant, you have a point of view, and you argue it in the face of a lot of opposition. A movie critic once said that anything they write about movies is a pale accomplishment compared to the creation of even a bad movie. I appreciate those who are out there doing their thing, and fighting their fight, even if I disagree, over those who sit on the sidelines and do nothing. So please take this in that spirit.
    Thanks Capslock and know that I feel the same way towards you and everyone else. There is nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree and I'd rather have that then a cut throat approach.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    I'm anti-capital punishment, not because of the sanctity of human life, but because we have an imperfect judicial system, prone to bias, prejudice, and emotion. It puts innocent people on death row, many of whom have been exonerated. See the Innocence Project, which has freed many wrongfully convicted people. I think many people have forfeited their right to live with their actions, but we're just not good enough at discerning who they are.
    I understand what you're arguing but the numbers of innocent people who are convicted of heinous crimes and are put to death have to be a very low percentage. Most murder cases are pretty cut and dry with the forensic technology we have today. On the cases that aren't cut and dry and are up in the air then maybe the death sentence isn't appropriate. However what kind of life is living in jail until you die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    Yes. I am not a pacifist. War is necessary sometimes. However, the war in Iraq is the product of a deranged policy led by a mentally disturbed President. Just yesterday, former Press Secretary, Scott McClellan revealed what many of us already knew - Bush invaded Iraq because he wanted the legacy that only a "war President" can have. It was a sick campaign based on outright lies and propaganda. In illegal and immoral war. Yet McCain supports it.
    I think we all agree that the Iraq war was a mistake and mishandled and that if the President and Congress had better intel that the war would have never took place. People keep forgetting that Congress authorized the Iraq War:

    http://www.factcheck.org/iraq_what_d..._and_when.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    We have protections against illegal invasions of our privacy for darn good reason. The last President who decided he was above the law used mass surveillance like this to investigate political opponents. No doubt Bush has too, but regardless, he simply violated the Constitution. You can't do that, ever, no matter how right you think you are.
    Have you been personally effected? Did you have something to hide? Were you making calls overseas to areas that were being monitored by telecoms? How else were we supposed to gather intelligence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    That's just a preposterous notion. This nation was founded in part to escape the official Church of England and the imposition of religion. We enshrine protection against religious tyranny into the Constitution. This nation was founded on the basis of FREEDOM. Freedom of and from religion. God is NOT in our Constitution, and that's on purpose. Some of the founding fathers, unclear on the concept, argued for the inclusion of God. They lost. Which is good! Having a secular government protects the ability of all of us to choose our religious path, whether atheist or fundamentalist.
    Yes but you're missing the point. We have a secular government that got its ideals from the Bible and was created by God believing forefathers. To completely suggest that our forefathers didn't believe in God, or didn't incorporate ideals from the Bible into freedoms in our Constitution is flat out wrong. It's recorded fact in history books. It's printed on our money. It's in our national anthem. You can find it everywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    It was illegal on many fronts. First, it was prosecuted based on lies - there was no evidence of WMDs, nor did the administration really care about that issue. Iraq didn't pose any imminent danger to us, was not a participant in 9/11, and didn't support Islamic terrorists. Hell, they were the most secular country in the region, and were the avowed enemy of al Qaeda, who were infuriated with Hussein's lack of Islamic rule. We've killed over 100,000 citizens of Iraq for nothing. The crimes against humanity are staggering in their scope, including using white phosphorous (a WMD) against human targets, another violation of international law that we've signed on to (like the Geneva Conventions that Bush's lackeys referred to as "quaint". McCain supports this invasion and occupation.
    I'm going to post this link again for emphasis:
    http://www.factcheck.org/iraq_what_d..._and_when.html

    Here's a link to who voted in congress:
    http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...0237&session=2

    To sit there and suggest that one man is totally responsible for the Iraq war is wrong. Nobody at the time knew what we know now and if we did we would have never went in there. How would it then be right to abandon Iraq? We created the mess, we owe it to the Iraqi's to stay there until they can stand on their own two feet.
    James 1:17

    "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

  4. #52
    Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Zone 8
    Posts
    5,594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    Passing out wrappers does nothing but give the green light for sexual activity.
    It isn't "passing out wrappers." It's educating our children about sexual responsibility. It's a nice twist of propaganda that simply isn't true since nobody is suggesting to give our kids a gross of condoms.

    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    Just because our society and culture deem that having sex as early as possible, as much as possible, with as many people as possible doesn't make it right.
    Again, it's education. Even if this was in the realm of truth, it's more important to educate so that if our kids are "having sex as early as possible, as much as possible, with as many people as possible" they are doing it safely. Giving kids condoms doesn't mean they are more likely to have sex! Give the average kid a comb and he or she will think of sex. But oh my god, for the love of god, let's keep our children ignorant of knowledge and education so they don't have the tools to make responsible decisions in case they decide to have sex. It's never good to leave everyone in the dark about important decisions that may alter their life forever.

    xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

  5. #53
    Capensis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Everywhere. Capensis everywhere.
    Posts
    4,046
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    we get more oil from Venezuela than the middle east, i doubt we will quit buying from them
    That's what I thought, but I'm still worried.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

  6. #54

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's never good to leave everyone in the dark about important decisions that may alter their life forever.
    x2

    Not teaching kids sex ed for religious reasons, or moral reasons because of religion is one of the stupidest ideas any crackpot has ever come up with. The US is much more religious than Western Europe. Guess who has a higher STD rate? Us. Guess who has a higher teen pregnancy rate? Us. Guess who has a higher abortion rate? Us.

    As Hitchens said, "religion poisons everything".
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

  7. #55
    Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Zone 8
    Posts
    5,594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    Yes but you're missing the point. We have a secular government that got its ideals from the Bible and was created by God believing forefathers. To completely suggest that our forefathers didn't believe in God, or didn't incorporate ideals from the Bible into freedoms in our Constitution is flat out wrong. It's recorded fact in history books. It's printed on our money. It's in our national anthem. You can find it everywhere.
    Many of the forefathers were not Christian. And, just because ideas in our constitution seem to emulate ideas in the Bible does not mean that they are unique only to the Bible. There are some universal ideas that any civilization or grouping of people would grant, and this would be true if the Bible was never written. Is it so hard to believe that if there was never a Bible or Christian mythology that the forefathers would not have said that killing people is wrong? Based on that, I think it's fair to say that it is not accurate to claim the Bible influenced the forefathers when laying the groundwork for our country. Just because you see a pattern does not mean there is a pattern.

    xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

  8. #56
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was watching some program on Daystar yesterday and the dude was talking about this, actually. He was talking about how we got the concept of Democracy from the Jews because it's in the Bible.. completely forgetting the Greeks... Then he proceeded to say you'll have to answer to God one day for not voting for people who will appoint conservative justices. IE: Republicans.

    And The word God should not be on our money, and it was added to the pledge of allegiance. It was not originally there. It's unconstitutional to have his name on anything of this nature, and eventually it will be removed.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •