Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: near as i can figure he must be a freaking idiot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    It isn't "passing out wrappers." It's educating our children about sexual responsibility. It's a nice twist of propaganda that simply isn't true since nobody is suggesting to give our kids a gross of condoms.
    If I show my dog his leash, he wants to go for a walk. If I hand someone keys to a sports car that's parked in a massive parking lot, they're going to try to find it and drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    Again, it's education. Even if this was in the realm of truth, it's more important to educate so that if our kids are "having sex as early as possible, as much as possible, with as many people as possible" they are doing it safely. Giving kids condoms doesn't mean they are more likely to have sex! Give the average kid a comb and he or she will think of sex. But oh my god, for the love of god, let's keep our children ignorant of knowledge and education so they don't have the tools to make responsible decisions in case they decide to have sex. It's never good to leave everyone in the dark about important decisions that may alter their life forever.

xvart.
    What's the focus at hand? Is it educating kids to be responsible and to hold off on sexual activity due to the consequences at hand? Or are we educating kids that sex is fine as long as your GF is on the pill or you use a condom, which are both not 100% full proof. There are no contraceptives that are 100% full proof. Lastly what is a kid gonna do if he runs out of his/her contraceptive? There's a 50/50, and probably many would argue even greater odds that the activity is going to take place regardless if a contraceptive is available.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outsiders71 is right - many of the founding fathers were religious, some though were quite opposed to organized relgion. Regardless, ideas in the Bible ARE used in the founding of our society. But, I need to point out that those ideas are ones with a rational basis that even us atheists share - like not killing or stealing. The specific ideas unique to Christianity dealing with saviors and such are not there, for a reason. The founding fathers wanted to protect Christians, Jews, infidels, everyone equally. But it's absolutely true that ideas in the Bible did influence the founding fathers, and make their way into the Constitution. It's just that they were really good ideas on their own merits, God didn't need to deem them so - they stand on their own!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    x2

Not teaching kids sex ed for religious reasons, or moral reasons because of religion is one of the stupidest ideas any crackpot has ever come up with. The US is much more religious than Western Europe. Guess who has a higher STD rate? Us. Guess who has a higher teen pregnancy rate? Us. Guess who has a higher abortion rate? Us.

As Hitchens said, "religion poisons everything".
    I'm sorry but could you show me where I said for religious reasons I don't believe condoms should be taught? I never said condoms shouldn't be taught either. Maybe before you partake in discussions on this forum you should remove your blatant hatred to anyone who isn't as Atheist as yourself.

Now lets try to think outside of the box a little here. Tell me how it is beneficial for people who aren't able to support themselves, let alone a baby, to engage in sexual activities that provide the risk of having said baby. Please do also factor in the major possibility of the father not supporting the baby or the mother and the effects it will have on that mother's life. Also take in effect the kind of upbringing that child will have.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    That's what I thought, but I'm still worried.
    basically we are Venezuela's number one customer.....we have them over a barrel so to speak......they cant effectively ship it to China, Brazil uses ethanol, Mexico has its own oil.... so we are by far their number one customer.....all we have to do is boycott them for 6 months and we will have ol' Hugo begging for us to buy from him again cause is country will collapse without us buying his oil.....no need to invade Venezuela.....no need to have Hugo assassinated......he can beotch and moan about us all he wants but we are his treasury......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need a condom to have sex. It's not a key to a car. That's the whole point; you don't need one to have sex but you should use one and have access. Your opinion that your morality should be enforced on everyone else is not good enough. It's not worth teenagers getting pregnant and possibly ruining their lives. They could have been doctors or lawyers, but at 14 with a kid it's hard to concentrate on your home work, isn't it? Sure, they can get abortions, but that leaves the risk of some emotional trauma. Of course they could have the kid and put it up for adoption, but then there's just another kid that could be bounced from foster home to foster home.

There is also a part of me that feels that if someone is stupid enough to have sex without a condom, if they get pregnant they really deserve it when they're practically free when you buy them, and they ARE free from health teachers and health clinics. My friend thought she'd be OK if her BF pulled out, and that they didn't need a condom. Luckily she didn't get pregnant, although if she had she could have expected to whine about it to someone other than me. Maybe that makes me a bad friend, but it certainly makes her stupid.

With a condom, however, all of that would be avoided 99.9% of the time. And that's just pregnancy. That doesn't touch on disease. I was ASTONISHED when I heard on TV that one out of five peole have herpes or HPV (or something like that.). I had NO idea. Now I'm even more afraid of sex, even with a condom lol. If more people used condoms, then maybe it wouldn't be so high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Clint. I was also surprised when I heard that on that commercial.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, all the data shows that "abstinence-only" education is a total failure. It increases STD rates and teen pregnancy by maintaining a state of ignorance among kids. It's just a well-intentioned, but very bad idea. Kids need information, not unrealistic scolding. The drive to have sex is universal, and we need to accept that some people under 18 are going to have sex. We should at least arm them with proper and true information.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    Outsiders71 is right - many of the founding fathers were religious, some though were quite opposed to organized relgion. Regardless, ideas in the Bible ARE used in the founding of our society. But, I need to point out that those ideas are ones with a rational basis that even us atheists share - like not killing or stealing. The specific ideas unique to Christianity dealing with saviors and such are not there, for a reason. The founding fathers wanted to protect Christians, Jews, infidels, everyone equally. But it's absolutely true that ideas in the Bible did influence the founding fathers, and make their way into the Constitution. It's just that they were really good ideas on their own merits, God didn't need to deem them so - they stand on their own!

Capslock
    Thanks for the additional input. I just wanted to add that yes they may stand on their own but I think it is important to recognize where they came from and give credit to its source . These ideals that are forefathers borrowed were revolutionary, and not found in any other country at the time.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast