What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small Towns (another B-I-L Spam)

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Those who grew up in small towns will laugh when they read this. Those who didn't will be in disbelief and won't understand how true it is.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

2) You know what 4-H means.

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road. On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on their legs from running through the woods when the party was busted. (See #6.)

4) You used to'drag'Main St.

5) You did something wrong, and your parents knew within the hour.

6) You scheduled parties around the schedules of different police officers, because you knew which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough, they'd tell your parents anyhow.) Besides, where would you get the money?

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them.

9) You knew which section of the ditch you would find the beer your buyer dropped off.

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.

11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation.

12) You didn't give directions by street names but rather by references. Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks to Anderson's, and it's four houses left of the track field.

13) The golf course had only 9 holes. (What golf course?)

14) You couldn't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

15) Your car stayed filthy because of the dirt roads, and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.

16) The small town next to you was considered 'trashy' or 'snooty,' but was actually just like your town.

17) You referred to anyone with a house newer then 1955 as the 'rich' people.

18) The people in the 'big city' dressed funny, and then you picked up the trend 2 years later, just as it went 'out of style' in the city.

19) Anyone you wanted could be found at the local gas station or the dairy queen.

20) You saw at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends driving a grain truck to school occasionally.

21) The gym teacher suggested you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.

22) Directions were given usingTHE stop light as a reference.

23) When you decided to walk somewhere for exercise, 5 people would pull over and ask if you wanted a ride.

24) Your teachers called you by your older siblings' names.

25) Your teachers remembered when they taught your parents.

26) You could charge at any local store or write checks without any ID.

27) You never needed to lock your car or your house.

28) Any place you needed to go was only 5 minutes or less away.

29) It was normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower.

30) You've pee'd in a cornfield.

31) Most people went by a nickname.

32) You laughed your butt off reading this because you know it is true, and you forward it to everyone who may have lived in a small town.

I would not have wanted to have been raised any other way!!!

Tough times don't last... Tough people do...

yeah sounds about right................but for the record we have TWO stop lights :grin:

Ahhhhh.... a big small town! Surprised it doesn't have one for Welcome & Leaving on opposite sides of the same sign.

We now have TWO stop lights too, and both are used for directions :-)).

... and when you get to THAT stop sign, you don't bother using your turn signal, 'cause the guy in back of you knows where you're going anyway! :D

We didnt have any dirt roads or 4H (Waverly, NY),
but I knew everyone in my graduating class!
There were about 100 kids in my class..
I wasnt friends with everyone, but I knew everyone by name.
knew them all from kindergarten straight through 12th grade..

Im was amazed to find out (when I went to college) that were highschools where you DIDNT know the name of everyone in your class! the thought had never occured to me..

Scot

Ouch, we had 20 in my graduating class with 18 of which like Scot said K - 12. Don't talk to any of them now, after 13 years what's left ?

We just got a stop light, still don't have a dairy queen and never seem to get over 550 people in the whole town.

there were about 60 in my graduating class....knew them all by first and last name..got along well with almost all of them....partied with all but a few....ran from the cops who would bust up parties with half of them..........another one to add to the list....is if yah payed attention to county lines when planning big parties...as in if you moved the party down the road a few miles or across the river than the cops had to come from 40 miles away instead of from town just 10 miles away :grin:

The "Caution Dead-End" sign on Main street is no whimsical joke...
Either stop or drive straight into some guys house.

My wife grew up in rural Western NY. She knows this stuff. I was born in NYC but grew up on Long Island, where it was one suburban town after another. I was in one of the smaller school district, with a graduating class of 425. I knew everyone or at least I think I remember knowing everyone, at least a little bit.

33) You know all the dogs in town by name and they always wag their tail as you pass each other in the street.

34) You are often run off the road by a combine.

I can relate to this BIG time! I graduated with 32 people and knew everyones name. We have one stoplight in our town. After October 15th our little town shuts down until April 15th. We are a little tourist town. Love this post! Thanks!:-))

I got stuck behind a tractor/combine/farm equipment was not only an acceptable but a common reason for being late to school/work.

35) Unless your family has lived in the town 2 generations you're "new" or "outsiders".

BV's only got one stop light and a bajillion stop signs. My boss chewed me out for running one once and I told her I was here before it was. (Well I was!)

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.

Because genetic outcrossing is cool, yo.

We just got a stop light, still don't have a dairy queen and never seem to get over 550 people in the whole town.

That's about how many people were in my graduating class!

xvart.

Back