What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo of previously uncontaced tribes in S. America

• Thread starter nightsky
  • Start date
i wonder if there's any hot chicks in their tribe.

prime directive!

Even if they seem to live poorly, they're only livving as such from your perspective. If they were able to observe your life they may think to themselves that you're living poorly only wanting for material things or something similar, and that you need to come and live thier ways....

When I moved here from Maine, I was living in an apartment complex with no connection to the kinds of things I used to do and had to worry about work, rent, car payments and so on. Early one morning I saw a homeless guy with a little duffle bag ride a beat-up old bike from a few acre patch of woods tucked between a nearby park, shopping center and convent. Once I noticed him the first time, I saw him a lot. I'd see him reading in the library, having coffee in a restaurant and so on. I first saw him in 1991 and he looked to be ~40, so maybe he was a Viet Nam vet who never fit back in or who knows what led him to that life. I saw him for years and used to tell people that I thought he had the sanest life of anyone around here. I still think so, but I haven't seen him for a long time and wonder what happened to him.

I hope he moved to a better climate for living outdoors. When I was in Santa Monica a few years ago, I found myself thinking the homeless people had the best lives of anyone. A nice climate and no need to keep up with the neighbors or to watch the stock market or to scheme for a promotion. Don't get me wrong, homelessness is a serious problem and, in general, a stressful and very unhealthy way to live. But there are lots of problems with the way the rest of us live and I won't automatically assume that someone living without everything I have is worse off than me.

I recall an old American Indian chief recanting the history of his peoples by saying: "Before White man arrived, our squaws stayed at the family compound to raise our children, clean our teepees, cook our food, and do most of the domestic housework, while our braves went out to hunt and fish all day in our small canoes, and we were all happy with that. Then some crazy White man come in and think they can improve our ways of life." :-O - Rich

I didn't say every native decedent lives in the shanty towns, but as with most South American societies a good number of them do end up in shanty towns as a result of colonial actions and its influence on modern society. The main point being that since they are natives they will be starting one step behind as the sad fact is those of European decent have more opportunities and a better chance to avoid living in the shanty towns.

As for learning for them thats the reason you have anthropologists go in, though in retrospect I am not sure I am in support of that any more. One just has to look at the problems with Napoleon Chagnon and his study of the Yanomamo of Brazil to see what can go seriously wrong. Not to mention that the native reaction to many of the western medicines we could bring is not usually good. If you look at the Yanomamo it is believed by many that the measles vaccine that was given to them actually killed a large number of them because they had bad reactions. Some people also accuse Chagnon and his helpers of inoculating the Yanomamo with measles intentionally to see the results though this evidence is lacking.

I am hoping that the Brazilian gov't makes this area a forbidden zone for non-natives to prevent the destruction of these people. Even if this means the anthropologists do not get to study them.

Intentionally? Damn. That's messed up. Tuskegee, anyone?

I think that some people here need to take time and reflect on why they have such hatred towards those who believe in God. The attacks on evangelists and so on are ridiculous. This article has nothing to do with evangelists. Who invaded these people's privacy? Who took the pictures? Who disturbed them? The liberal media that distorts the truth and disturbs "uncontacted" people's privacies for a big news story are far worse than any good intentioned evangelist.

Outsider is right, this is a topic is about the people in the jungle, not about religion, missionaries, nor preachers.
This is also not a topic about liberal or conservative media.
Please stay on topic.

I wouldn't have said anything at all if they didn't have a history of doing just this, and since we are talking about exposing them to the modern world, then my question is entirely applicable in ever facet of the discussion.

So why don't you offer your opinion? I won't even comment on it. Not one word. I'd just like to know. Or anyone, not particularly you. It's entirely applicable. Would you, or wouldn't you?

Neither missionaries nor media of whatever political persuasion hold a candle to to the WTO & IMF when it comes to destroying the lives of people in less developed regions.

That's not really fair. Atrocities can be committed by anyone on anyone. I meant in general, not specific incidents. I meant ideologically.

And lest we need to bring up what happened to the American Indians...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't have said anything at all if they didn't have a history of doing just this, and since we are talking about exposing them to the modern world, then my question is entirely applicable in ever facet of the discussion.

So why don't you offer your opinion? I won't even comment on it. Not one word. I'd just like to know. Or anyone, not particularly you. It's entirely applicable. Would you, or wouldn't you?

I would leave them alone and believe they should be left alone unless somehow naturally they come in contact with people.

Neither missionaries nor media of whatever political persuasion hold a candle to to the WTO & IMF when it comes to destroying the lives of people in less developed regions.

So true.

they dont look afraid to me mate..truthfully if i was there on the ground i'd be scared of the natives...

That's very interesting...the one painted in black remind me of a Predator :p.

Back