Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Photo of previously uncontaced tribes in S. America

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in a fishing village once on a Pacific Island. Those people were still using ancestral fishing techniques and did a wonderful job. I mean they caught fish by hand and rock. They ate the fish with their hands and drank collected rainwater better than I could do. In my opininion the only thing wrong was that they were cast aside by modern tourism (du - western culture). These people lived on the islands form much longer than those resorts.

I'm a Christian. Personally I don't care what an evangelist says if there saying we should introduce these folks to medicine, banana republic, and Wal Mart (collosal impervious surface). That is ignorance to me. Evangelism is about spreading the word of God not our culture, not our medicine, not our way of life, not our clothes, not our disease, not our food, not our population explosion.

Remove those people from the wild is removing a cultural and natural resource from the wild so that we can teach them to over exploit. I'm sure we could learn better things from them like how to be more sustainable. In my opinion protecting their environment and way of life from exploitation is not ignoring them or rendering them to a shortened life. It is respecting them.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't a proven fact that they die younger, but even if they do, its a lot better alternative to live an overall shorter life rather than have a couple of foreigners come in and wipe out your entire neighborhood with a cold.

You're not saving them by offering them modern conveniences. If they wanted to join modern society, they would have to start off on the bottom anyways, which is a big step down from how they currently live. You don't need TV and water heaters to live a fulfilling life. Further more, would it even be possible for them to join modern society? I'm unsure if they actually speak a widespread language.

I personally would find it disgusting if missionaries rushed in to "enlighten" them with religion. I'm sure if God had really wanted to "save them", he would have left them a copy of your holy book of choice.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't really answer my question :P

Of course it's not proven. I will bet my life that they have a lower life expectancy than we do. As far as starting off at the bottom, so? They're already on the bottom. They're in the jungle, living in a hut, hunting and gardening. I can't see how you could get much more hardcore than that. I don't see how it could be too hard for us to learn their language and them to learn ours.

Of course, I find the thought of evangelicals doing that revolting, too. I just wanted to know what the evangelicals thought. It's interesting. Personally, I don't believe they'll go to hell for not knowing about the concept of the Xtian God in the first place. That would be pretty retarded.

Reminds me of the episode of southpark where TBN wanted to spread the word of God to the aliens of Marklar.

NICK,NICK,NICK!!!!! Indians....... likeAstone76's Avatar
    Kansas, on the plains with the tumbling tumble weeds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine the people that would want to rush into the jungle, offer the natives enlightenment and modern convenience, wouldn't feel the same way if it was an undiscovered nepenthes, lizard, or something.
    Here's to the first of the of the day fellas!! To old, D.H. Lawrence!!!!

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Of course, I find the thought of evangelicals doing that revolting, too. I just wanted to know what the evangelicals thought. It's interesting. Personally, I don't believe they'll go to hell for not knowing about the concept of the Xtian God in the first place. That would be pretty retarded.
    We are in agreement with that point.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    They're already on the bottom. They're in the jungle, living in a hut, hunting and gardening. I can't see how you could get much more hardcore than that.
    Instead of living in a close family community, they could be selling crack in some ghetto neighborhood where you have to look over your shoulder to make sure you don't get a bullet in your back. It doesn't get more hardcore than that.

It's not that hard to go out with your childhood buddies for a few hours and blast a couple monkeys with arrows to get dinner.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So all poor people sell crack in the ghetto? And as if rich people don't use and sell drugs. Please. Seriously. PLEASE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do rich people have to do with anything? They're exposed to the violence associated with slum life. The kind of life where people have to sell drugs or steal to survive.

If we lived in a utopia, maybe there would be some merit in inviting them in to our society.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast