What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting A Mini Bog

Ok, here is my situation. I have an allotment (Which is just a big plot of land), and I was thinking of making part of it a mini bog. I have pleanty of Sphagnium moss peat and some perlite, I have loads of dead sphagnum moss, I know it can come back to life given the right condidions. But what would that be? Should I make the bog raised above ground, or make it at ground level?

First thing I would do is to survey the surrounding plants and trees, and then have a look at the geology of the area, having a look at how far down the surface water table goes.

Some trees (and other plants) produce plant inhibitors. The plant associates should be CP friendly. - Rich

Which ones are CP friendly? there is only a blackcurrant bush near the site where I will do it. Its flat land with grass and weeds which I will destry when I start, also I will have to dig up a fair bit of soil to make this bog. I might just make a raised one in my garden.

The Oaks and conifer trees are all CP friendly, the various Walnut and related trees are harmful. Maples will produce too much shade. - Rich

How would I go about resurecting the sphagnum moss

Clean water without mineral salts should do just fine to resurrect sphagnum, you might even throw some sphagnum peat in there to get the pH down, and lay a foundation. Some pine needles, and oak leaf litter, along with other erricacious shrubs should do the trick. - Rich

What about humidity or light?

First thing you need to consider is where do you live? What are the temps, humidity, and average rainfall.

I would need to know the answer to those questions before I could make decisions about the bog.

I f you live in an area with little rainfall, I would suggest you put down a pond liner or plastic to try and keep as much moister as you can. It'll save a lot of watering later. I live in an area where normally we have a lot of rain. I still lined my bog with plastic. I put in a drainage system in case I get too much rain. I have yet to use it.

Another thing you have to think about is rain draining into the bog from surrounding areas. That can be very harmful to cp's. You might want to build it so that it's slightly higher then the surrounding area to prevent this.

If you want to grow cp's you'll need to put it in an area that gets a lot of light. Full sun all day would be best.

Well, I live in England. The tempratures are never the same. Summer can be anything from 13-28, I remember once, it was so hot the tarmac melted. The soil can dry out to bone dry levels, but then we get torrential rain for a few days. night time temps rarley go below 12 in the summer. Winter, temps at day can be anything from below freezing to 14. Almost no rain, definate frosts, soil gets dry, rarley snows but it is possible. Winter is from novemeber to may, spring is supposed to start in may but there are late frosts occasionaly. Humididty, I have no idea. rain fall? alot. one week, nothing bone dry, the next, non stop rain. My allotment gets full sun almost all day long.

Back