Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting A Mini Bog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting A Mini Bog

Ok, here is my situation. I have an allotment (Which is just a big plot of land), and I was thinking of making part of it a mini bog. I have pleanty of Sphagnium moss peat and some perlite, I have loads of dead sphagnum moss, I know it can come back to life given the right condidions. But what would that be? Should I make the bog raised above ground, or make it at ground level?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing I would do is to survey the surrounding plants and trees, and then have a look at the geology of the area, having a look at how far down the surface water table goes.

Some trees (and other plants) produce plant inhibitors. The plant associates should be CP friendly. - Rich
    No, I'm not suffering from insanity! ... rather enjoying it, actually!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which ones are CP friendly? there is only a blackcurrant bush near the site where I will do it. Its flat land with grass and weeds which I will destry when I start, also I will have to dig up a fair bit of soil to make this bog. I might just make a raised one in my garden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Oaks and conifer trees are all CP friendly, the various Walnut and related trees are harmful. Maples will produce too much shade. - Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would I go about resurecting the sphagnum moss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean water without mineral salts should do just fine to resurrect sphagnum, you might even throw some sphagnum peat in there to get the pH down, and lay a foundation. Some pine needles, and oak leaf litter, along with other erricacious shrubs should do the trick. - Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about humidity or light?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing you need to consider is where do you live? What are the temps, humidity, and average rainfall.

I would need to know the answer to those questions before I could make decisions about the bog.

I f you live in an area with little rainfall, I would suggest you put down a pond liner or plastic to try and keep as much moister as you can. It'll save a lot of watering later. I live in an area where normally we have a lot of rain. I still lined my bog with plastic. I put in a drainage system in case I get too much rain. I have yet to use it.

Another thing you have to think about is rain draining into the bog from surrounding areas. That can be very harmful to cp's. You might want to build it so that it's slightly higher then the surrounding area to prevent this.

If you want to grow cp's you'll need to put it in an area that gets a lot of light. Full sun all day would be best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast