Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ant trouble!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    um, I know a cool solution! Replant the 2 plants you kind they are nesting in and put the soil in a container (outside of coarse) and take the soil and place an escape proof lid and place it over it. Get a few test tubes/pieces of pipe and make a water resavior and cover them with paper leaving the entrance open. Place those in the container and wait. The ants should move in queen and all to the tubes so you can either release them all without killing them or have your own ant colony! how big are the ants? At first glance the look like formica or lasius, or maybe P. imparis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look like "carpenter ants" to me, they're everywhere around my place! - Rich
    No, I'm not suffering from insanity! ... rather enjoying it, actually!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK: uggghhhhh thats bad.
    What? It's true.

Halfway to the bathroom she started screaming and pulling off all her clothes, right there in the restaurant.

The last part isn't true, I just wish it was true because she was hot.
    You are so full of it. LOL Well at least the first half was true.

Those ants in the pic are definitely bigger than mine. I just have those little black ants. Still...they are annoying.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is your solution. We have ant troubles in my house every summer, and this stuff works wonders. I'll probably end up giving you more info then you care to know, but if you want to take care of the problem go to the store and pick up this stuff called "Terro." The product has changed over the past few years. It used to just be a bottle of this goo, and you put a big blob of it on a piece of cardboard. Now they make these convenient little plastic traps so people can't get to the poison. Anyways, just stick a trap wherever you see an abundance of the little critters, and let it go. After a little while they will swarm to it, and as gross as it may be, DON'T touch it. They carry the poison back to the nest, and in a few days your ant problem is solved. They take the food back to the queen, she dies, and no more ants! We've been using it for years and years, it's really a great product. (And no, I do not work for them.)
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a solution (maybe). I've heard that ants don't dare pass chalk lines. Just draw a chalk line all around pot, or something.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chalk lines! LOL! no that wont work at all! The shape of the thorax doesn't look right to be carpenter ants, witch usually nest under or in decaying wet wood. The little black ants PAK was talking about are pavement ants or tetramorium caespitum. I have your solution, just send the plant with the ants in it to me and you wont have any more problems! You really don't have to kill the queen, is this in a terarium or just a window sil? If you put the plants in a terramium just put vaseline around the sides (a thick coating not thin) just where you can't see it. Then the ants can live with your plants and all you have to do is feed them some honey or dead bugs a few times a week!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That stuff in ant discs is whatever Ant was talking about ("goo"). I always thought it was boric acid because that is what you use for roaches and it works the same way essentially. It sticks to them and they carry it back to their homes.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't say anything about goo or ant traps.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast