Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ant trouble!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ant trouble--Pictures!

I have an ant problem:

I need to get rid of these pests! I know, there are gonna be some people out there who say that "there cool, don't kill them," and I agree, I've had lots of fun whatcing them, especally there realationship with the predators in my artificial enviroment--Nepenthes and Drosera! Its been a grand feast. But I'm moving soon and besides I'm not sleeping in a room with ants crawling around me for any long period of time.
    My parents have a pesticide that they say I can use if I want. Its called "Combat Source Kill," and its main ingredient is Hydramethylnon. As the title suggests, its one of those pest killers that poisons the Queen so that the colony dies out.
    My question is, since the Queen and many of the ants are living in the soil of one of my plants (probably either my Nepenthes x "Lady Pauline," Nepenthes alata, or Nepenthes truncata), will the poisen the ants bring back into the colony have negative effects on my Nepenthes, even in such small quantites? I read something saying that it was ok for houseplants, but then Nepenthes aren't your typical plants.
    Here's a link: http://www.dialcorp.com/index.cfm?page_id=193&pid=2
    Many thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That should have no effect on your plants; those insecticides target the specific chemistry of the insects specifically some of their internal and hormonal reactions, and won't bother your plants at all, even when they all die out. - Rich
    No, I'm not suffering from insanity! ... rather enjoying it, actually!

Dead to Mosqueeto's ALL OF THEM! DJ.Zany-NL-'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    buy more plant's :P
    Victory is mine!
    i like to grow plant's and i like to smoke plant's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a mini ant infestation of my terrarium just a couple weeks ago... it was really bad for about 3 days and I didnt know what to do... and then I woke up one day and they were gone and all my plants especially my S. Scarlet Bell were all doing this then flourished ... the coolest part was all of my VFT seedlings that were too small for even the smallest fly just destroyed those ants I didnt realize till they all reopened with carcasses.... it was cool...
    sorry I know I had no suggestions for you... just got me to thinking...

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. One of my plant stands has ants and just yesterday I found them in my pantry.

Hey! I have ants in my pant...ry. hehe

I put some ant discs down but I think they might have been fried from the package sitting on top of stove. :-/
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK: uggghhhhh thats bad.
    I don't think getting more plants is really much of an option for me since I'm almost all out of space. The Nepenthes I have right now are doing a pretty good job right now, actually. You can't see it in the picture but the "Lady Pauline" pictured is half full of ants.
    Anyway, thanks for the info on these traps! I'll put some out now.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! I have ants in my pant
    That reminds me of a woman I gave a cp tour to a few years ago. She was fascinated by fireants. She said that she just had to see what it was like to get stung. She played around with them got a few stings.

Then we went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch. While sitting at the table her eyes got really big and she said that she thinks she has fireants in her pants. She waited another minute and then she said that she had to go to the bathroom. She got up really fast and started heading to the bathroom.

Halfway to the bathroom she started screaming and pulling off all her clothes, right there in the restaurant.

The last part isn't true, I just wish it was true because she was hot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    That reminds me of a woman I gave a cp tour to a few years ago. She was fascinated by fireants. She said that she just had to see what it was like to get stung. She played around with them got a few stings.

Then we went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch. While sitting at the table her eyes got really big and she said that she thinks she has fireants in her pants. She waited another minute and then she said that she had to go to the bathroom. She got up really fast and started heading to the bathroom.

Halfway to the bathroom she started screaming and pulling off all her clothes, right there in the restaurant.

The last part isn't true, I just wish it was true because she was hot.

Thanks for the laugh - that was great.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast