What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LACPS Meeting - June 2008

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
The next meeting of the Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society will be Saturday June 21, 2008.

It will be held at the Botanical Center of the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens.

The meeting is from 10:30am until 1:30pm.

A behind the scenes tour of the greenhouses and conservatory is scheduled. Please get to the meeting no later than 11:15am for the tour.

Members will be required to check in at the guard booth at the SW corner of the visitor's parking lot. Park in the lot and walk up to the booth.

Parking is free in the visitor's parking lot.

The Huntington
1151 Oxford Road
San Marino, CA 91108
(626) 405-2100

See the Huntington website for general information, directions and a map of the grounds

As always bring your plants to trade, sell, give away or for show-and-tell.

See also the LACPS website and the LACPS Yahoo Group.

Bump!

Yet another meeting I won't be able to attend because of prior arrangements XD.

Cool I'll be there! This will be my first meeting, and I'm also bringing a friend that is interested in CPs!!

Zach

I can't come to this one either but I can come to the August one =)

Great! I'll look forward to meeting you. The meeting is in the classroom in the Botanical Center. I should be at the guard booth around 10:15 or so. You need to pickup a sticker badge for admission to the grounds.

Be sure to join the Yahoo group as we use that as a listserv to keep in touch with the members.

Warren

PS: The August meeting is going to be at CSU Fullerton.

i hope it's not a nephentes talk all day again ...i almost fall asleep last time

Tom will be doing a very brief talk, probably on the history of the Huntington. The rest of the meeting will be taken up by the greenhouse and conservatory tour. The Huntington inherited most of Leo Song's CP collection from CSU Fullerton and most of the CP genera are represented. The conservatory represents a south eastern US bog so there are only North American species in the bog although they have Drosera capensis in the hands on area of the conservatory.

There's plenty of non-carnivorous stuff in the greenhouse that the public never sees too.

You won't be bored.

I am definitely going to try to make it to this meeting. Gas is a mofo tho.

Daniel

I hope you can make it. I hear you on the gas. There are a few members in OC. You might want to put a feeler out on the Yahoo Group and perhaps carpool at least part of the way.

If you can't make it plan for the August meeting which will be at the greenhouses over at CSU Fullerton. Ed Read is always a gracious host and has quite a CP collection there too.

That's my birthday! And that means I won't be able to come, since my girlfriend has a nice weekend planned for us. I'll get to a meeting one of these days...

I just wanted to mention that the meeting and tour were so much fun! The gardens were very, very impressive. I loved the North American bog. Unfortunately, the heat got to my little counterpart, and we had to leave a bit early.

Their desert garden was amazing. They had superb Echeveria hybrids. :love: I will be going back this weekend to attend the cacti/succulent show and sale.

A big thanks to everyone who organized the event. :)

Joel

It was great to meet you finally. I'm glad you enjoyed the meeting and I hope your brother did as well despite the heat.

The tour wasn't as in-depth as it was last year - bigger group and only one host this year, but it was still awesome.

Looks like this weekend might be a lot cooler.

Make it out to one of the regular meetings or at least to the Fullerton meeting.

:pics:

xvart.

Thanks Warren. I didn't get to thank you and say good bye. I guess the group dispersed after we got to the big room in the conservatory. After going around initially, we went back to the bog room, and by the time we got back most of the people had gone.

I will definitely try to make regular meetings in the future. Hope I can make the Fullerton meeting in Aug. (gas is a killer, though!).

Xvart, Larry posted the pictures he took in his photobucket. He provided the link at the yahoo group... Hope you don't mind me posting the link, Larry. http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/tipitiwitchet/Huntington Botanical Garden/

Hey joosa, you were there? Damn, you didn't introduce yourself, I have no idea who you were! Thanks for posting the link to the pics.

I had a great time at the meeting. I bought some of those ant fern plants....hopefully they will grow....lol however my grandmother was upset because it was way to hot for in the conservatory.....so she just sat outside while me and a group of people went and looked around....

I also bought some pings.....which lucky for them they werent part of the group of plants that i tried to put outside lol....so I still have plenty of pings growing...its just the rest of my plants that are mad at me and dying because i put them outside for a while lol....

o btw sorry for just saying group of people if you were on of those people. I have close to no memory at all for names.....you think that me being in charge of a couple hundred students for 7 years would have caused me to learn names faster .....not at all -.0

at the next meeting i probally wont bring my grandma "nina" because she gets tired easily....but I'm a little to shy to go by myself so I'll probally manage to rope my friend brian into going....he doesnt know he is going yet but he will lol.....

Hey joosa, you were there? Damn, you didn't introduce yourself, I have no idea who you were! Thanks for posting the link to the pics.

Sorry, I'm kind of shy... Next time, I'll wear a "Hello, my name is: joossa" sticker. ;)

BTW, nice pictures!

Thanks for posting the link to those pictures. I look forward to living in an area in the future where I can be a member of a local society.

Sorry, I'm kind of shy... Next time, I'll wear a "Hello, my name is: joossa" sticker. ;)

It would be neat to create a forum pin that we all could wear to events.

xvart.

a sticker with the real name and the forum name is not a bad idea at all!!!...at least you know who you're talking to (mainly for the new members like me)

Back