What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a day full of surpises

i was going to get some soil out of my compost for two new plants i bought today(one being a hibiscus) so im digging it up and i look and i see many many sprouts and seedlings. im thinking to my self what kind of plants could these be, there not weeds. i examine the seedlings and they have these seeds on them, again i say to my self what the hell are all these. then it hits me these seeds look like apple seeds(i eat about 2 apples a day and throw the left over in the compost). i have about 20 apple tree seedlings right now! how cool is that?

these seedlings are going to grow big and strong tree's

That's a great find. I hove hibiscus plants. I would love to see some pictures if you have several (and even if you only have the new one!).

Good luck with the apple trees. I hope they are green apples!

xvart.

the hibiscus is a stick right now X)

i also found 8 kinds of mushrooms today

4 on horse manure
4 on lawns and such

it had previously rained and i love mushrooms

Hibiscus, along with the Canna, are awesome plants. They really look very exotic, but don't mind zone 8 one bit!

I can see all of you in the north growling at your screens when you get to 'Zone 8 one bit!" hehe.

hibiscus are such neato plants i agree clint i cant wait for this to grow

i would like to buy many more to add to my collection

send me some apple's when they're big enough ;P

The apples from seed-grown apples don't tend to be very good, but apples are easy to graft. Can those seedling grow where they are for the rest of the year or is there a better (sunnier) place you can put them? I don't grow apples anymore, so can't send you scionwood, but you should be able to buy/beg or trade for what you need and then do some grafting next year, when those seedlings are the right size.

i have the seedlings next to the window under a grow light

in a way trying to heal them + its 92 degrees out! a little hot for a bunch of wee tree's

It seems like anything we've rescued that grew in the compost pile just thrives - tomatos, squash, etc. One time I found a baby Voodoo Lily growing which must have been a tiny bulb dormant in an old pot of soil we threw on there.

We also have a worm compost bin in the basement. That compost just amazing and is better than gold. Compost tea from it gives plants a real boost. Since it doesn't heat up like a regular compost pile sometimes you get a whole vegetable garden when you use it.

I think there is a book out there called The Kitchen Gardener which is all about growing things from discarded kitchen scraps and things you can buy in the grocery store - like a Taro Root in the Asian section will grow into an elephant ears plant.

Good luck with the apples, shall we start calling you Johhny?????

i also found 8 kinds of mushrooms today

4 on horse manure
4 on lawns and such

it had previously rained and i love mushrooms

Make sure you know 100% what you're eating with found shrooms - they can be tasy, fun or deadly. Just cos they're growing on poo doesn't immediately mean they're "those kind". But if you're just admiring them, there's no harm in that. :)

o ofcourse not

nothing on the poo was what i was looking for, im pretty good with mushrooms no need to worry

still really really cool to see mushrooms tho, there my fav

Back