Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with buying a graphing calculator

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Casios work as well as TI, but I prefer TI because I feel like they have a better documentation. Both have clunky programming languages so it's really a matter of what you can get help with most easily. Don't exchange it - algebra solvers are anathema to learning. If you just bugged your teacher until they showed you all the answers by hand, you'd still do better than with CAS because then your teacher would only have themselves to blame when you fail all the exams. It's bad enough that built-in calculus is standard. The original TI-92 (89's QWERTY-keyed predecessor) could do all the stuff you need to remove all of the significant work from algebra, provided you could read the equation well enough to enter it. But copying formulas straight from the text seems like a bad habit to me - it's important to understand the process and step through it in order to learn.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first Casio in 8th grade, played around with it a bit and loved it. The startup menu is really nice. Another thing I like is that if you need, say, the factorial (!) command twice in one line, you don't need to sort through the menu system multiple times to get it, it just says up there until you go to a new menu. One of my high school math teachers (a fellow Casio lover) told me that it was just a case of: TI is the more well known one, so the schools run with it. I never had a problem bringing my Casio to any standardized tests or exams, so I've never wanted to change.

(Also, nothing beats the look on a classmate's face when they ask to borrow your calc and they cant find the "On" button XD.)

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    few years ago....5 exactly...I bought a Ti 83 plus silver edition. It has all those features of graphing...you could make mathematical programs etc as well. It is a wicked calculator. But the best of all is a Ti 90 at that time. almost was like a notebook style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    Don't exchange it - algebra solvers are anathema to learning.
    ~Joe
    true enough, but for those of us who loathe math and use it as a means to an end only, lord how we love those functions

to be fair, i DID learn how to do derivatives by hand (my prof's made every test have a calculator-free section), and i've utterly forgotten how to take them already. it was useful to learn it at the time.... got me off my lazy bum and made me study it.... but unless you're going to use the functions on a regular basis, you will forget them regardless of how you learn them. kind of like how most of my knowledge of French is already gone....
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonflower View Post
    true enough, but for those of us who loathe math and use it as a means to an end only, lord how we love those functions

to be fair, i DID learn how to do derivatives by hand (my prof's made every test have a calculator-free section), and i've utterly forgotten how to take them already. it was useful to learn it at the time.... got me off my lazy bum and made me study it.... but unless you're going to use the functions on a regular basis, you will forget them regardless of how you learn them. kind of like how most of my knowledge of French is already gone....
    You don't have to hate music to look stupid when you're trying to figure out someone else's stereo.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12