What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colorado Springs

• Thread starter Jimmy
  • Start date
Well, in a few days my family is going up to Colorado Springs for a week because my older brother is going to a military academy camp for high school juniors. Thing is, the rest of the fam will be staying in a hotel(s) for the week...a sort of sightseeing road trip. If anyone has any personal experiences and information going to places in or near Colorado Springs, please share! For now, were figuring to visit Pike's Peak and the Florissant Fossil Quarry, as well as taking a look at the military academy. I'd appreciate any suggestions on where or where not to go.

I've been to all those places. They all are great. You should check out the Cave of the Winds while you're there. Amazing stuff there, too.

xvart.

I too have been to all the places mentioned above. It was a great vacation. If you're into it, check out the Temporary Dinosaur Nat'l Monument Center thing.
http://www.nps.gov/dino/planyourvisit/directions.htm

The Garden of the Gods State park is also very interesting.

The Garden of the Gods State park is also very interesting.

How could I have forgotten the Garden of the Gods!! Duh!! Must see.

xvart.

If you can reach Jeremiah Harris, you might be able to check out his green house and Neps. It's a pretty nice collection if you can see it.

The main places I'm going to see, starting tomorrow:banana2: will be in Denver. I'm driving down to Colorado Springs for 2 days.
Garden of the Gods. Train cog up Pikes Peak. Cripple Creek? (Old mining town sounds interesting)
Rocky Mountain National Park.
Denver Zoo / Aquarium / Botanical Gardens?
Whatever looks good on the way.

I'm trying to get into contact with Jeremiah Harris for a possible visit.

Here are some places I would have liked to go, but did not want to be driving all the time, so I mainly stayed in the Colorado Springs / Denver area.
http://www.nps.gov/blca/

http://www.nps.gov/meve/planyourvisit/index.htm

Great, Thanks for the input! All of the sudden this trip got a lot more interesting.:-O

Garden of the Gods seems a definite 'yes!' The Dinosaur National Monument and Cave of the winds are also possibilities, and the black canyon also looks very cool. I'll have to do some research to see what we'll be able to visit.:banana2:

OMG I didnt know that Jeremiah takes visits from "strangers." Can someone PM me with a way to get into contact with him please? He's got some absolutely AWESOME plants, based on some of the pics I've seen.:0o:

You can try to contact him.

I've meet him before at the ICPS conference in 2006.

If you visit garden of the gods, don't sit on a cactus like my brother did. Cheyenne Mountain base also gives tours (my dad used to work there), its a really cool missile detection base located inside the mountains. It is meant to survive missile attacks, and all the buildings are on hundreds of seven hundred pound springs so they can bounce instead crumble if the mountain shakes.

No "strangers" allowed here just CP grower lol, I look forward to meeting you.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

Back