User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back for orientation and I got my first job working in the greenhouse. Woot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, that reminds me of my own youth! I had a similar job as a greenhouse caretaker myself when I was in college (sometime back in the 12th century), and brought in many of my Nepenthes, Tillansias, Playceriums, and other unusual ferns, Dros, Pings, and other CPs.

I had prepared several areas for classroom presentations of prothallia and gametophytes of mosses and ferns.

It was a lot of work, first getting rid of all the scale and mealy bug infestations, then dumping all the "lame plants" like the garden varieties of impatiens and petunias, also all the cleaning, and watering chores, adjusting the humidity, and ventilations. I actually put in a lot more hours than I was allocated and allowed, but I didn't complain, and the best part was I got a lot of recognition, accolades, respect and adulation from the staff and faculty for doing what I loved to do anyway; hey I would have done it for free, if they had known!

Congrats and enjoy Clint! - Rich
    No, I'm not suffering from insanity! ... rather enjoying it, actually!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berry is about 30 minutes from my house; I live in Cartersville... you'll pass it on your way to Rome. Rome seems like it could get kind of boring; are you planning on going home or anything on weekends?
    Small Growlist: Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berry is in Rome? A few of my friends during my time in Atlanta were from Rome and called it God's country. Not for being stuffed to the gills with churches, like Lubbock, TX, but because it was better than everywhere else. So they said.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legally, it's Mount Berry. Berry is part of an unincorporated community called Mount Berry. The college is pretty much it's own town and there's like a little shopping mall and movie theater and that pretty much caters to the college more or less. I'm sure students are their main source of business, but it's de-facto Rome. I will refer to Rome as where I live, even though my address says Mount Berry. I think it's like when a gated community gets so big, they get their own "city" name and zip code.

It IS stuffed to the gill with churches :P I was told it has more churches per capita than any other city in GA or the SE or something like that. It is boring. There's only one night club, and I'm almost positive it's not a not club, but just a bar. Whoop-di-do. I'm equal distances from ATL and Chattanooga, but I can't drive yet anyway lmao.....still an hour. It's a small city, but it's big enough to find plenty of trouble to get into, I'm sure. ten times more urban than the one I live in now, so anything is a step up for me. I hate small towns. Berry is a dry campus, and has no greek life at all. The students who's job it was to answer our questions said someone throws a party every weekend, or at least every other weekend Said if you want it you'll find it, if you don't you'll never hear about it. It's a really laid back place... and by that I mean if you like to party you'd have more fun watching paint dry. But, it'll keep me from overindulging. Probably what I need, anway, and I won't be doing without. Atlanta and Chattanooga are just an hour away, now to get some friends with cars.....

My father is from Cartersville. Or Dalton. I forgot :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better you than me. My college career crashed and burned in Atlanta because there was way too much to do. Especially since the Braves almost gave away tickets & beer back then. I left for the relative calm of Oxford, MS, which was close enough to Memphis for the occasional escape and far enough for such escapes to remain occasional. But there was much more to do than in Rome. The Rome in GA, I mean.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Especially since the Braves almost gave away tickets & beer back then.
    Times sure were rough, eh?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123