User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back for orientation and I got my first job working in the greenhouse. Woot!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back for orientation and I got my first job working in the greenhouse. Woot!

How cool is that? I got interviewed and accepted to work at the GH an Berry. Pretty excited about that. And luckily for me, it's all ornamental plants and a few herbs. No boring crap like corn. I'm not a farmer. Mostly temperate and annuals, but she said we do get shipments of things like Heliconia and other cool stuff from Florida.

The max I'm allowed to work as a freshman is 15 hours a week. I'm glad the Dean of... jobs or whatever his title is recommended me. No uniforms, get to pick my own hours ( as long as I stick to those hours for the rest of the semester), which is good since I can walk directly across the street and use the gym for a couple of hours since I'll be all gross anyway from being in the GH. AND I get to play with all kinds of chemicals and hormones and stuff She said they used to use a TC lab, but no one ever uses it anymore. I'm pretty excited. Apparently I'll be working with thousands of individual plants. She said I'll know I'm trusted to know what I'm doing once I'm asked to water lmao. Best of all, It's about a seven minute walk from my dorm! Of course it's attatched to the science building, so it's really even closer depending on when I choose to work. She stressed the fact that if I'm ever late, I'm fired. Like... first time. I do have to work three weekends a semester, but that's no big deal. And I don't have to take care or plant the plants when they're ready to go out! The people who work for the campus maintenance department do that.

I'll be making around three grand per school year. Rents are paying for my education so I can spend that however I want. I guess, with taxes, I'll only really be making two grand per school year. Plasma TV here I come

It's a beautiful, school. Like... Hogwarts. Sweet Home Alabama, Perfect Harmony and Remember the Titans were filmed there. Had the reception banquet in the castle, I mean building, where they were singing some song the dude said.... I've never seen the move. I should take some pictures. That, and the fact that it has the largest campus in the world, and the fact that I get to play with flowers, and the fact that I'm in love with their gym (vaulted ceilings and chandeliers in a gym where everything is brand new, and it's all totally free! I get to use a 32 million dollar gym for free. I am SO lucky.) Almost outweighs the fact that there are so many less-than-secular Xtians there, and that only two others beside myself were democrats in a group of fifteen or seventeen people.... but that was just my group. It could be a coincidence, because I've only seen Obama bumper stickers and no republican ones. Still. I'm making premature judgments about republicans, and I'm working on that , and I'm sure out of like 2000 people I'm sure I'll meet enough liberals. Plan on joining the Young Democrats.

PLASMA! WOOT! I'm going to love college. Coming and going as I please, all my classes ending at noon at the latest (except for one, which is from 3-5 one day a week!)....I'm really going to like coming and going as I please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Clint! That sounds like a fun job. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats !
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Clint!! Hope you enjoy it. Congrats!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uhhhhh speaking from experience 2 grand aint going to amount to much screwing around money in college even if your 'rents are footing the bill for the dorm and classes.........dont take long to blow through $2,000
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sound very excited. I am happy for you! I ALWAYS get the back-to-school jitters whenever summer or winter break come to an end. Hopefully your excitement isn't also making you nervous.

If you don't mind me asking, what classes will you be/are planning on taking?
    -Joel from Southern California

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, what's there to not spend it on? They're paying for my education, insurance, personal crap ( vitamins, like... mouthwash, toothpaste, facial stuff.... uhh...clothes... basic necessities) and all freshmen are required to have an unlimited meal plan... which they paid for. I can't think of anything that would eat up most of my money, except the cool crap like a plasma TV I want to buy.

I'm not nervous. At all. Not even a bit. What's to bee nervous about? I really can't wait to get the hell away from my overprotective parents. I'm going to major in biology. Right now, my classes are:

First Year Seminar, which is like a free A that all freshman have to take
    Principals of Cell Biology
    Principals of Cell Biology lab. These are the same but they're listed separately and I just take the lab once a week.
    Principals of Economics I
    Seminar in Rhetoric Writing
    Introduction to Psychology. Replaced Theatre Appreciation with this. I don't appreciate theatre. Supposed to be hella hard.

Glad there's no math this first semester. Would have made getting used to college harder. I hate math.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Sounds like you are off to a good start. Rec Centers are interesting amenities, when you really think about it. When I was at KU they had just built a new, incredible Rec Center (and now they are expanding it). Nationally, only about 15% of any student population will use the Rec Center regularly. Now think about the investment of multi millions of dollars for 15% of a student population?! It really doesn't make sense. It's one of those things that is a great marketing tool, and great for overall campus awareness of fitness, staying in shape, and healthy lifestyles, and very beneficial for those students that use it; but, for the other 85% who don't use it, I wonder what they would rather spend that money on? lol. Don't get me wrong, I would never not build a Rec Center since they do rule; I just think it's funny.

It's like when you survey college students about what food options they want in the dining halls. Everyone wants healthier foods, light dressings, etc, but no one ever uses light dressing when it is served... They're buying it for people who want it but won't actually use it!

But I digress. I would've loved to have worked at a greenhouse while in campus. Although my horticultural bug didn't hit until I was graduating... Going on campus with a job already locked up is a huge advantage. Enjoy it. And use that Rec Center!!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast