What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To import or not to import

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
I've had a discussion with a few members on this forum on the topic of receiving seed internationally. No offense guys, I just want a definite answer. There's a lot of ifs, buts, and maybes.

I have done some research both before and after the discussion. It seems most of the information points to needing a small seed lot permit. I know that there are several stipulations depending on the seed. From my understanding a small seed lot permit is for seed in general. I would like to know if it is legal (by this I do not mean can one do it and get away with it, this happens everyday) to import seed into the US if the seed in question is not restricted, prohibited, etc. Say I was lucky enough to win some seed from a place I cannot name. They are D. capensis seed for discussion's sake and are no way endangered or fall into any other category. These seed will be sent from Thailand. Can I legally have those seed sent to my house without any permits, paperwork, or any other hoops?

Thanks guys,
Crystal

I wanted to add, I know a few of you on this forum have some experience with the small seed lot permits. If I am mis-understanding it's use, could you please shed some light on its purposes?

Last edited:
You get the permit from the USDA. It's free and only takes a few mins to fill out the form. Then when you want seed from internationally, you send the person a little card thing, and they affix it to the envelope, then send it here, where it gets intercepted by customs and "inspected" (i.e., sits on a shelf for weeks). Then they send it to you. So:
Can I legally have those seed sent to my house without any permits, paperwork, or any other hoops?
Legally, no.

This system sucks and it's not worth it for nep seeds. If I wanted some from Malaysia, it'd take 2 weeks for my letter to get there, then 2 weeks for the seed to get to the US, then at least 2 weeks for customs to deal with it, then another couple days in the mail. It'd be totally or largely non-viable by that time.

Alternatively if you do it illegally, the punishment is, "the seed may be destroyed". That's it.

I've wondered about this. There are plenty of nep seeds on ebay from Thailand and a quick glance through the feedback and you see that most go to the US. I'm going to try it at some point.

You can scan your customs permit slip and email it to your shipper-they just print it out and affix it to your packet, no need to physically mail the slip over, at least not a couple years ago.
Still, it's silly what you go through for seeds because of "terror threat" - as if Al-Quida has opened a nursery and is sending out anti-american plants... :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Phissionkorps is spot on!

As I recall there is a restriction of no more than 50 seeds of any one species probably per shipment.

I joined in on a seed order from a source down under that I won't name and not a single seed I ordered germinated. I ordered Sarr seeds and I only later learned that one should only order from that particular source's new seed list, to avoid getting seeds older than me. The moral of the story, as I see it, is that there's nothing I need that's so exotic that I can't get it here somehow.

Phissionkorps is spot on!

Not exactly. It is strange that an Australian would know more about the importation of small seed lots into the US than its own citizens. :scratch:

To be fair, I've had a bit of experience in this area though. I've supplied seed to a US grower using the small seed lot system and it is fairly simple. The owner of the permit must send an envelope to the supplier that contains another envelope with a label addressed to APHIS. Within this envelope, a collection of numbered baggies are sent with a catalogue containing species names corresponding to the list. Clean seed is then placed into these baggies and the package mailed to APHIS.

It did take awhile for the letter to arrive- I reckon about 1 month after I posted it.

BTW- the reason for this procedure has nothing to do with "terror threats", it is to protect the US environemnet from the potential spread of exotic weeds, diseases or other pathogens- however minimal the chances of that are.

Thank you everyone of your input. I appreciate the clarification. I was getting both yes and no and a lot of gray areas when researching.

I have started the application process. Unfortunately I don't know if I'm going to finish it. There's more than just applying online. I had seven days to present my driver's license to the local USDA center, I never made it. If I would have known I couldn't do it all from home I would have waited. I may try to reapply soon.

If the seed really do set on a shelf awaiting inspection, is there really any point? It seems like a lot of trouble to go through and then not have viable seed in the end. I agree with herenorthere, there's really nothing exotic enough that I can't wait until it becomes available in the states. I'm sure a lot of people think, "well just do it without it". I prefer not, the permit is required for a reason. It ensures the shipper follows strict directions for cleaning, packaging, and shipping the seed to prevent outbreaks of disease and pests. I'm sure it's rare for something to happen, but I'm sure there risk will always be there.

Thanks again guys,
Crystal

BTW- the reason for this procedure has nothing to do with "terror threats", it is to protect the US environemnet from the potential spread of exotic weeds, diseases or other pathogens- however minimal the chances of that are.

Exactly, you beat me to it.

I agree with herenorthere, there's really nothing exotic enough that I can't wait until it becomes available in the states.
When you want seeds from the Petiolaris complex, he's got the largest selection and is almost the only show in town. I have some concerns for availability when he exits the market...

Not exactly. It is strange that an Australian would know more about the importation of small seed lots into the US than its own citizens. :scratch:

To be fair, I've had a bit of experience in this area though. I've supplied seed to a US grower using the small seed lot system and it is fairly simple. The owner of the permit must send an envelope to the supplier that contains another envelope with a label addressed to APHIS. Within this envelope, a collection of numbered baggies are sent with a catalogue containing species names corresponding to the list. Clean seed is then placed into these baggies and the package mailed to APHIS.

It did take awhile for the letter to arrive- I reckon about 1 month after I posted it.

Not sure what you meant by "not exactly". APHIS is reatively new. to my knowledge, Droseraguy and I were the first forum members to go through and receive the ePermit, each of us re-submitting the application and talked through by a representative to get the correct phrasing. That was 3 years ago. Since the, to my knowledge, only Travis Wyman, Ron Lane, and PhissionKorps have done so. Before the "small lots of seeds (~50) program, people either shelled out significant money to do things legally or had the approach of "as long as I don't get caught...."

So we in America are relatively new to the idea. As to yourself... well... you're the inspector, by occupation, the one some folks have been trying to dodge

Alternatively if you do it illegally, the punishment is, "the seed may be destroyed". That's it.

While I've never known anybody to get caught doing this illegally, my USDA representative previously informed me that it's a federal offense and can be punishable with prison time :(

I've gone through that process and have the proper permits to import. As far as the thing you have to mail to the person exporting - this is called a green/yellow sticker (and isn't actually a sticker at all, lol). It has a port destination on it (a port with customs present). The rules require for the actual sticker to be attached to the package. However, depending on who is exporting your seeds/plants, they may be able to attach a photocopied version. While this violates customs rules, it is generally ok when the exporter goes through a particular customs port that is familiar with their products. Otherwise, I've been told to make sure to use the real sticker.

If you do have seed sent to you internationally, make sure the person sending the seed does a good job of packaging it. Simply putting the seed in a bag, in an envelope will ensure that the seed will never germinate (USA likes to crush things in their mail, anything flat is run through machines, etc).

As far as the epermits process goes, the majority of the permits are free. One that is required to import actual plants will cost you $70. That particular permit is the one that came with the green/yellow sticker. I've never applied for the seed permit though - never had any use for it. While the initial permit process is quick and easy, some of them require you to go to a local government office to verify your identify. While this is a pain, it's really an easy process once you get there (took me about 2 minutes). If you're supposed to receive the green/yellow stickers, they will be mailed to you once your permit is approved. Be sure to allow a solid 4-6 weeks from start to finish.

Not sure what you meant by "not exactly".

Hi Jim,

I just meant that the information provided by Phissionkorps was not exactly correct. There was a couple of things I thought I should clarify.

Regards,

Sean.

Points of clarification

This system sucks and it's not worth it for nep seeds. If I wanted some from Malaysia, it'd take 2 weeks for my letter to get there, then 2 weeks for the seed to get to the US, then at least 2 weeks for customs to deal with it, then another couple days in the mail. It'd be totally or largely non-viable by that time.

1) Customs does nothing with the small seed lots, that is only USDA/APHIS. Customs only gets involved if the total declared value is over $200 at which point you are required to pay tariffs and such

2) I deal with USDA quite frequently and I can say with certainty that they do not take 2 weeks to do an inspection. It is rare that they take even 2 hours.

3) A LOT more than that can happen. I have a good friend who got spanked with a $2500 fine when an improperly labeled shipment got intercepted.

Not sure what you meant by "not exactly". APHIS is reatively new. to my knowledge,

4) APHIS is not new at all, it has been around for years. But, a lot of these regulations are recent to the system so the knowledge of APHIS involvement is suddenly becoming more commonplace.

Since the, to my knowledge, only Travis Wyman, Ron Lane, and PhissionKorps have done so.

5) Actually, I do not have a seed permit. I have the PPQ 597 for full plant importation. This covers seed as well though I have not used it for that purpose.

My apologies Jim,

Just reread my initial post and my first sentence did not come across as I meant it to. Arrogant is probably the best way to describe it.

I wasn't meaning it to sound like that and should have worded it differently. I just noticed that there appears to be a little bit of misinformation/misunderstanding of the process. It is no different here where noone in my CP society has any clue about our import requirements.

As you say though, that was my job and I have an interest in the various import regulations of various countries.

Sean.

Thanks, Sean! :-D Let's go Buff-a-lo!

Back