Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To import or not to import

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To import or not to import

I've had a discussion with a few members on this forum on the topic of receiving seed internationally. No offense guys, I just want a definite answer. There's a lot of ifs, buts, and maybes.

I have done some research both before and after the discussion. It seems most of the information points to needing a small seed lot permit. I know that there are several stipulations depending on the seed. From my understanding a small seed lot permit is for seed in general. I would like to know if it is legal (by this I do not mean can one do it and get away with it, this happens everyday) to import seed into the US if the seed in question is not restricted, prohibited, etc. Say I was lucky enough to win some seed from a place I cannot name. They are D. capensis seed for discussion's sake and are no way endangered or fall into any other category. These seed will be sent from Thailand. Can I legally have those seed sent to my house without any permits, paperwork, or any other hoops?

Thanks guys,
    Crystal

I wanted to add, I know a few of you on this forum have some experience with the small seed lot permits. If I am mis-understanding it's use, could you please shed some light on its purposes?
    Last edited by Crissytal; 06-14-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Added a question.
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Dead to Mosqueeto's ALL OF THEM! DJ.Zany-NL-'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try asking the government..hmmm what's the name of that in english

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_v...enlandse_Zaken
    or the import & export part in there (damn if i only knew it in english i'd be much more of a help )
    Victory is mine!
    i like to grow plant's and i like to smoke plant's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get the permit from the USDA. It's free and only takes a few mins to fill out the form. Then when you want seed from internationally, you send the person a little card thing, and they affix it to the envelope, then send it here, where it gets intercepted by customs and "inspected" (i.e., sits on a shelf for weeks). Then they send it to you. So:
    Can I legally have those seed sent to my house without any permits, paperwork, or any other hoops?
    Legally, no.

This system sucks and it's not worth it for nep seeds. If I wanted some from Malaysia, it'd take 2 weeks for my letter to get there, then 2 weeks for the seed to get to the US, then at least 2 weeks for customs to deal with it, then another couple days in the mail. It'd be totally or largely non-viable by that time.

Alternatively if you do it illegally, the punishment is, "the seed may be destroyed". That's it.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wondered about this. There are plenty of nep seeds on ebay from Thailand and a quick glance through the feedback and you see that most go to the US. I'm going to try it at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can scan your customs permit slip and email it to your shipper-they just print it out and affix it to your packet, no need to physically mail the slip over, at least not a couple years ago.
    Still, it's silly what you go through for seeds because of "terror threat" - as if Al-Quida has opened a nursery and is sending out anti-american plants...
    Last edited by xvart; 06-14-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: sensitivity

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phissionkorps is spot on!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I recall there is a restriction of no more than 50 seeds of any one species probably per shipment.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined in on a seed order from a source down under that I won't name and not a single seed I ordered germinated. I ordered Sarr seeds and I only later learned that one should only order from that particular source's new seed list, to avoid getting seeds older than me. The moral of the story, as I see it, is that there's nothing I need that's so exotic that I can't get it here somehow.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast