What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whoa crickets!

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
When I had some large female crickets, I put in two small nest boxes for them to lay eggs in. The crickets hatched a few weeks ago, so since they were big enough to see well now, I thought I would count them. I thought I had maybe 150-200....turns out I have 614! That's a lot of crickets!!! I don't know how I was off by so many! It's not possible for me to feed them all to my two toads before the crickets die, so I guess I'll take a few more females and do it again. This way I'll have a constant supply :-D Too bad I have to wait 5 weeks before the crickets are big enough to feed to my toads. I'm keeping the babies in my room so the ants don't get to them, but when they start getting their wings I'll have to put them back in the sunroom, so the chirping doesn't drive us mad. I got several good ideas to help with the ants, so I hope it'll work!

question unrelated:
is a cricket the same thing as a locust?
and is there a difference between
locusts crickets and grasshoppers?
i know we have "krekels"and "sprinkhanen"Oo

I have NO idea, lol. Maybe somebody else will come along and will be able to answer that ???

Locust
hasdai-locust4.jpg

Cricket
field-cricket.jpg

Grasshopper
l-5201_4.jpg

I would say that a cricket is different from the others while mainly locusts swarm. Grasshoppers...I don't really know about.

grasshopper&locust looks similar.

cricket looks like roach.

I watched a special on TV once about Locusts... I think it was called like super swarms or something. Anyway, Locusts are a type of grasshopper. There are also different types of locusts. There are a few differences, one being that Locusts occur in swarms and have a swarm mentality (eating and moving together in swarm). IIRC too, there are subtle differences in the jaws, head, and body that are synonymous between locusts compared to grasshoppers. I am not sure, but I believe Crickets and Grasshoppers are from the same Order but not the same family.

Daniel

This is from Wikipedia.

Locusts
Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Arthropoda

Superclass: Hexapoda

Class: Insecta

Order: Orthoptera

Family: Acrididae

Subfamily: Cyrtacanthacridinae

Oedipodinae
Gomphocerinae

Grasshopers
Scientific classification

Subphylum: Hexapoda

Suborder: Caelifera

Crickets

Suborder: Ensifera

Superfamily: Grylloidea

Family: Gryllidae

Did I mention I have 614 baby crickets?

feed some hungry pitchers!

or let them go outside and give them a chance for life!

I don't have pitcher plants, but I thought about letting them go outside...just not near my house.

I don't have pitcher plants, but I thought about letting them go outside...just not near my house.

TERRIBLE IDEA

Have you ever heard of invasive species??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7zkTnQVaM

Africanized bees are another example.

It might not be an issue, but it could very well be. What you thought about doing is how major problems develop though. Don't risk it.

Whoa, that is a lot of crickets.
Where are you keeping them again? If I'm not mistaken, that looks like a shower.
...I hope it's not...

Back