User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Nepenthes Ventricosa is about to die, so I'm in the market for a new CP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
    Cape sundews are really nice mine grow very well at the window catching most of the flys and sometimes spiders also sorry about your nep I'm repoting one of mine it's getting big and I see a few roots out of the holes hopefully it goes okay..

I'm worried that the Cape Sundew will dry out if I grow it under a lamp. I'm just wondering about lighting because I'll be growing this in my dorm room. How much light do they need?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of light, but keeping it in sitting in purified water will keep it from drying out. I grew one on an office desk under a 100w compact fluorescent bulb for something like 12 hours and it did just fine. It was a really hot and dry in that office too, but the plants didn't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilbasso View Post
    Lots of light, but keeping it in sitting in purified water will keep it from drying out. I grew one on an office desk under a 100w compact fluorescent bulb for something like 12 hours and it did just fine. It was a really hot and dry in that office too, but the plants didn't care.
    Where did you get the 100w bulb? My bulb is like 14w and I keep my plants on a minimum of 12 hour photoperiod.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops-it was something like a 23w but was the equivalent of 100w. Sorry 'bout that.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had terrible luck with P. moctezumae

Snap off the part that's black, spray with a fungicide if you want to use it as a preventative measure, and it should come back from one (or more!) nodes.

The equivalent doesn't matter. I don't know how many times I've said this I don't think people read what I say You can throw the concept of it being anything like 100 watts out the window. That's what it LOOKS like to a human. To a plant, 23 watts is just 23 watts, which is to say practically nothing. It's sort of like decaffeinated coffee. Why bother? I don't like compact fluorescents. They have too much restrike. If you grew it under a more powerful source of light, the difference in the plant's performance would be like night and day.

Someday is not a day of the week. Maxx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My capes grow fine and I don't even give them a second thought when I'm watering, potting, etc...
    I regret little to nothing!

My Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12