What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*PLANTS STOLEN* Help find the thief.

Here is a list of plants:
2 N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana 12"
1 N. trusmadiensis 12"
2 N. macrophylla 10-12" and several 3-4"
2 N. truncata black 12-16"
1 N. sibuyanensis x trusmadiensis 12-14"
1 N. jacquelineae red 12"
6? N. truncata x trusmadiensis 2-3"
1-2 N. maxima x trusmadiensis southern carnivores clones 10"
1 N. lowii trusmadi 14" upper pitcher stage
1 N. ventricosa squat x (spectabilis x northiana) clone APA clump in pot
1 N. ventricosa x lowii American clone from J. Shafer 16"
3-4 pots of N. lowii x ventricosa red clone APA and APB

yep.....sure looks like they knew exactly what they were after

yep.....sure looks like they knew exactly what they were after

sadly, yes. Sadly because the chances of them tossing it on ebay or asking for advice is virtually non-existent. Heck, he/she/they are probably reading these posts and smiling at their cowardice.

yeah but are they going to stop letting friends come see their plants? like i said someone with a good conscience may stumble across them and let Tony know who has them......

That's a lot of plants, and a lot of space. That would've been quite the operation... What sort of time frame did they have?

xvart.

Tony...I added your list on the 4 other forums. Good luck man! I hope atleast some of this is recovered. Its really sad to see plants like burb x edwardsiana, black truncata, upper pitcher stage lowii on that list. I can imagine the attachment you have to those things. :(

Pssshhh. Of course they're reading this. And I bet it's someone you know. It's too bad this happened. I was looking forward to the return of your nursery opening up (especially with all of those unanswered PM's and E-mail from over a year ago.....) so I hope this doesn't set it back, or cancel your plans. With the return of another nursery, you've got some very good competition :p

You DID have business or property insurance, didn't you? You can't replace all of them (of course everything has a price if you have enough money... ), but you can get a hell of a lot of money for what was stolen. I wonder if any of the plants will live. Even a beginner can know what's very rare and what's not and positively identify them; doesn't mean they can grow it.

Arrrgghhhhhh, Tony!!!

I and and all the NECPS'rs hope you do re-open. I was hoping to replace my N. burbidgea x edwardsiana I got from you that croaked suddenly over the winter. If it had made it, I would have given it back to you so you could take cuttings/propagate it.

Presto - Fantastic job on the Amber Alert on the NECPS site, and listing the individual plants.

I can't believe of the low life in this small hobby who resorts to thievery. Just a disturbed sad person is at work here. The satisfaction in this hobby is when one can get a plant at like 2 inches diameter...grow it till mature size with their own effort.

I am so sorry to hear this. There is nothing worse than a thief. I had my lowland GH burgled numerous years ago and like Ludwig had to install a security system. They took six plants. Although not near as rare as yours. About 2 months later three showed back up on my doorstep half dead.
I am not known in the Nep community but I do get rare plants offered to me from time to time from various sources. Some Of them may be a little shady. I have your list and if I come across any of them, you'll be the first to know.
Also we need to be on the lookout for cuttings of these same plants down the road, if the originals don't turn up. If it is an experienced grower maybe this is what he/she has in mind since you can't show these plants to anyone in the CP community.
Well anyway, whoerver did this should be hung by his testicles from the nearest tree.

Well anyway, whoerver did this should be hung by his testicles from the nearest tree.

LMAO!!! agreed!

i never get plants offered to me...at all...but if for some reason i do, you will be the first to know Tony :)

Here is a list of plants:
2 N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana 12"
1 N. trusmadiensis 12"
2 N. macrophylla 10-12" and several 3-4"
2 N. truncata black 12-16"
1 N. sibuyanensis x trusmadiensis 12-14"
1 N. jacquelineae red 12"
6? N. truncata x trusmadiensis 2-3"
1-2 N. maxima x trusmadiensis southern carnivores clones 10"
1 N. lowii trusmadi 14" upper pitcher stage
1 N. ventricosa squat x (spectabilis x northiana) clone APA clump in pot
1 N. ventricosa x lowii American clone from J. Shafer 16"
3-4 pots of N. lowii x ventricosa red clone APA and APB

Crap! To be so terribly specific. It was obviously no idle theft. It is one thing to take everything in sight but another to pick and choose so carefully. One saving grace is that they are plants after all (and a couple probably on CITES lists) and are still very likely to be in the US. It is obviously someone with a sophisticated setup sufficent enough to maintain them and /or someone -- a dealer -- with a client list with very specific requests. I have never even seen a N. truncata "Black" . . .

LMAO!!! agreed!

i never get plants offered to me...at all...but if for some reason i do, you will be the first to know Tony :)

wow just thinking about this, i'd rather die than get hung by my testicle.

Hey, what if it's a woman? We have to devise a punishment with that in mind, remember?

Tony, I'm sorry to hear this terrible news. It hurts to know it was someone from the small pool of personal visitors who were allowed entrance to your magical nep kingdom. who must've done the thing.

The rest of y'all:
I've been worried about thefts such as these ever since I first saw people posting their addresses in their signatures. There are greedy people out there who will do such nefarious acts as this. I urge you all to change your signatures if you have your home addy listed there. Get a PO box it's nice for the plants too not beng trucked around all day.

Just a stupid question but did anyone post this on the listserv?? Figure the more people who know the more likely this wanker will be caught...

good idea pyro...
if no one beats me too it, i'll do it when i get back from my intership at noon-ish

I took care of it. Just wanted to make sure I was not repeating what had already been done.

ok

Back