What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

radjess331

dude...cut down stream not across
fyi this is my first year where i am really trying to grow carnivorous plants.

Ok so recently I purchased a bunch of carnivorous plants. Varying from aldrovanda, drosera, pings, nepenthes, to utricularia.

I have been growing them in my room with my window open so that they would get plenty of light but now that we are in summer the heat is way to high. I tried to grow my plants outside however it just burned most of my plants and killed some. So now they are growing in my room again under regular lights however i know that those reqular lights don't help any but for allowing people to see the plants. Now to top it off the new plants that i bought like humidity i guess. So some of them are slowly dying away because they dont have proper lighting and or proper watering/humidity.....lol maybe i should have started a little slower but i figured i could do it....guess not

so if any one could give me tips on lighting, watering, humidity, and other growing conditions for these plants much would be appreciated.

i really good with the utricularia and they were growing fine until i tried to put them outside......so i put them back to where they were but they still arent doing good

aldrovanda
u.livida
u.inflata
u.longifolia
capensis red - seedlings
p.essariana
p.moransis
p.kewensis
p.cycloseta
s. leucophylia

and i am not sure what kind of nep this is.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/radjess331/0625081847.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/radjess331/0625081847a.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/radjess331/0625081847b.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/radjess331/0625081847c.jpg

You're Nepenthes looks like "Ventricosa"

Seeing that you're from California, I think that low humidity is a problem. Also, Aldrovanda is only for experienced growers because from what I've read it's a challenging plant.

your nep is ventrata. The plants will burn if you put them outside. Try hardening them. Place them outside for 1 hour a day, then a few days latter increase it to say 2, and keep doing it until you think they are ready.

Ahmad thank you...I'm definately not experienced but It is growing....it has split from 6 strands to 13....i have killed it before many times but this time I am growing it in an aquarium set up like a pond....so it has tons of food to eat

thank you for the id whether it be ventricosa or ventrata.

That is indeed a ventrata. You can't confuse the two unless it's producing juvenile pitchers.

Jesus. I thought you had been here for years.

With only 13 posts?

I know.. that's what surprised me. What's sad is that this isn't the first time this has happened.

At least I didn't call you mike.

Me mike? Why would someone call my mike?

It is indeed a ventrata. You should put the Sarracenia outside. The rest would probably do fine by the window with it shut to keep out the heat. I'm not sure about the pings though...

xvart.

lol I've been growing utrics for years. However I am new to non utrics. So I have no idea personally. I mean I have read lots but it is different from personal experience. lol the 13 posts is because I am mostly an icps forum person its just recently that i am become more active here.....and thats because the people from the lacps told me they are active here lol....i do however think that the people here are much nicer then those at the icps forum

Bump!

anyone else with info?

btw the nep has been identified as ventrata

i'm pretty sure you can stick your red capes outside as long as you slowly acclimate them first to the light, heat, and low humidity.
but just to make sure, how high do the temps actually get?

lol it was 105 on monday......

i'm pretty sure you can stick your red capes outside as long as you slowly acclimate them first to the light, heat, and low humidity.
Very true - with most types of plants. If you take a plant and just stick it outside - many will either partially die back or completely croak (esp if it was in a Terrarium). Usually - by the time you see the damage - it's too late.

Even knowing this - I'd forget and take my Cephs from the basement and just stick them out in the sun in the spring. Lost a few that way...:crazy: Thankfully - have not done this for a few years. :boogie:

Contrary to popular belief, I've found that D. capensis are very susceptible to death by heat. I can't grow the typical or red D. capensis in Miami, FL. I do, however, have a pot of "albino" that are taking the summer just fine so far (minus the bloom that died mysteriously).

Your S. leucophylla should be fine outside in a saucer of water.

okay i put the sarrs outside......after slowly introducing them into the light....

bump!

well the sarrs are doing better and the plants arent dying anymore but they havent gotten any better

Back