Thread: Well MY dog is a hero!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well MY dog is a hero!

Well, to me he is.

I was awakened early Tuesday morning (it was still dark) by my dog Ollie who was vigorously licking my arm. I was like "What in the h*** are you doing??!!"

Ollie never deliberately wakes me up in the nite. I sat up and then I smelled something. *sniff sniff* It smelled like smoke. So I got up. It smelled like smoke all through the house. My first thought was my neighbors (because recently I had to call the fire dept. for a fire that started in their unattended fire pit). When I opened the back door, I could smell stronger smoke outside. Ollie didn't go out when I opened the door. I was very groggy but I guessed it was probably smoke from the big wildfire in North Carolina.

Being half asleep, it took me a while to comprehend that Ollie woke me up because of the smoke smell in the house! Ollie has never tried to wake me up to go out or anything like that. He was sounding (uh, licking) the alarm!

Even though my house wasn't on fire (thank god!!), I think that it is amazing that Ollie woke me up to alert me to the smoke! It's good to know I have him as a fire alarm.

It turns out that this time the smoke was coming from a wildfire in Suffolk, VA...not the NC fire that has been periodicly blanketing Richmond in smoke for weeks.

I love my lil' Beanie! Unfortunately Ollie is battling Canine lupus (SLE), an incurable auto-immune disease. He is a very sick boy but is "maintaining" on two medications. He stoicly deals with endless vet trips and blood tests, not to mention the disease itself which is running hard in him. He has suffered a lot in the past year and still has his not-so-good days...so I'm amazed he's still "here." As long as he is reasonably comfortable and has no harmful medication side effects, I hope my Ollie Bean will be around to protect me from fires and other evils for a long time. Life is tough for The Bean but he's a tough boy. Here's to my hero Ollie who was dealt a raw deal in his young life.

On a good note, Ollie gets to go the groomers this Sat. for the first time in many many months. This is a big step!

Below...Ollie in better days, getting into trouble as usual.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dogs love their family, this is just proof!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just plain awesome!

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awww, great story.
    I really hope Ollie gets better! ...I know how you feel.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat! Now you can sleep soundly with candles, cigarettes, and incense burning on old stacks of newspaper.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cool! Very often animals seem extraordinarilly wise. My mom's cat wakes her up on occasion and then she notices that her blood sugar has dropped to too low levels (diabetic) so I think animals deserve more credit than they're often given.

I hope your dog feels in good spirits!

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    My mom's cat wakes her up on occasion and then she notices that her blood sugar has dropped to too low levels (diabetic) so I think animals deserve more credit than they're often given.
    That's awesome, too! When my wife and I move to a bigger apartment (or house more realistically) we want to get a diabetic support Labrador. That's neat how her cat does it without any specialized training; therefore, I totally support your notion that animals deserve more credit.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast