Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Plant Book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carnivorous Plant Book

im looking for a Carnivorous Plant Book

not just about care of them but one that really explains them in detail(all of them sarrs,neps,drosera,pings,fly traps, etc etc)

i hear the savage garden is a good one but again i think im looking for one in addition to that that is more scientific

ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw one in Borders the other day next to The Savage Garden. I don't remember what it was called, but it was really cool.

*edit* http://www.borders.com/online/store/...sku=0881927929
    That one.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you said multiple species, but specific to Nepenthes are Charles Clarke's Nepenthes of Borneo, Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia. I can't remember the name, but Jebb and Cheeks had a skeletal revision something or other.

Barry Rice also has his recent publication, Growing Carnivorous Plants which covers several genus's.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants might fit the bill. Otherwise there are Adrian Slacks books.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HPLH View Post
    im looking for a Carnivorous Plant Book

not just about care of them but one that really explains them in detail(all of them sarrs,neps,drosera,pings,fly traps, etc etc)

i hear the savage garden is a good one but again i think im looking for one in addition to that that is more scientific

ideas?
    Grettings from Kalifornia,

I would go with The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants: A Comprehensive Guide to Their Biology and Cultivationby Wilhelm Barthlott, et al -- a translation of their excellent German book, Karnivoren.

The text is fairly dry, the articles full of detail and some very impressive electron micrographs of miunte traps, galnds, and other naughty bits.. It is strict and orderly in the way only the Germans possess . . .

"Kurt Waldheim's Shopping List:

Milk, eggs, butter, Austria, Poland . . ."

--David Letterman
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would get books in this order:
    The Savage Garden
    Barry Rice's Growing Carnivorous Plants
    The Curious World Of Carnivorous Plants

after that.....depends on your interests are.....im very happy with Peter Taylors Utricularia monograph but 95% of CPers would find it of minimal interest and even less use unless your REALLY interested in Utrics......the Nep books above look interesting and i have thumbed through a couple of them but havent spent the cash on one yet.....Lowerie's 3 book set on CP's of Oz is interesting but not nessisarily a must have unless your REALLY interested in Aussie Drosera and Utrics....Slacks books are good and generally easy to find cheap on the used book market...
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoyed Stewart McPherson, Pitcher Plants of the Americas. I think this is my favorite CP book. He does not go into much detail on cultivation, but the plant & habitat descriptions, and pictures are superb.

I've been eagerly waiting for, Glistening Carnivores.

He has other books that I will also get when they are available.

http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com/books

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another good one is Adrian Slack's Insect Eaters, a virtual reprint of his late 1980s second book Insect-Eating Plants and How To Grow Them. It is available at Amazon's UK site. At one time the older book was selling for 150.00 on eBay . . .

Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    I really enjoyed Stewart McPherson, Pitcher Plants of the Americas. I think this is my favorite CP book. He does not go into much detail on cultivation, but the plant & habitat descriptions, and pictures are superb.

I've been eagerly waiting for, Glistening Carnivores.

He has other books that I will also get when they are available.

http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com/books
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast