Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A discussion on photography

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A discussion on photography

Recently there has been a wave of blurry pictures being posted at Terraforums. And not just one or two, here and there; but, strings of the same plant over and over and over again, none of which are in focus. I'd like to take this moment, while I have everyone's attention, and ask nicely to please use better discretion when posting pictures.

Being as that I am not a skilled photographer, I can understand how it can be difficult sometimes to get a clear picture; however, posting a blurry picture typically doesn't help much, and only results in countless posts about how the picture is blurry and taking sever space.

I'm not trying to be an elitist picture snob. I just want to make sure that when looking for help, you get good help and not a page of comments about your picture being blurry. I hope some people who know more about cameras and photos will step in and make some suggestions, but until then, all I can say is you don't need to have a massive macro function and be zoomed in to see cellular mitosis. Step back, zoom out, and make sure the picture on the screen is clear and focused. Sharing blurry pictures only undermines you and whatever you are trying to accomplish by sharing that picture.

And, for Andrew's sake, we don't need 16 pictures (especially blurry ones) of the same thing over and over and over. If you take several pictures of the same plant from the same direction, pick the best one to share with us.

Thank you for your attention. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As another reminder, one should also resize their pictures before posting.
    Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say 'Hey man, I love you this many dollars worth. -Michael Scott, The Office

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd encourage anyone who was trouble working their camera to post a thread saying so, someone here can definitely help. I'm on here quite often haha so I should see and be able to help, or of course you can PM me. I'm no photo pro, but I am a photography major so hopefully I can help at least with basic shooting

I second the resize thing also...

oh and if you dont have a macro just shoot the photo zoomed out with a highresolution you can always crop and resize the segment you want us to focus on...

and for those who do have a better grasp on the photo thing realize that you too can help andy by dropping the resolution on your images prior to posting, internet displayed photo's require very little resolution, so shoot as high as you can and then display as low as you can saving space for andy and everything

if you load your photo's through photobucket the website will drop the resolution for web media automatically so you can just disregaurd that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also going to say that cropping the photo makes the plant (or whatever) you're focusing on bigger. There are quite a few good free sites you can download to help make your pictures look better. For example, Google the Picasa2 program or the Gimp program, both are free and you can even sharpen your pics with those programs Good luck!
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YEA!!!!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, poo!

Based on the topic I thought we were going to meet somewhere and sing "L'Internationale" and use the lens filter and zoom lens as our emblem
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Based on the topic I thought we were going to meet somewhere and sing "L'Internationale" and use the lens filter and zoom lens as our emblem
    Let's just say you were able to read between the lines. Keep digging and you'll uncover the meeting location.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast