Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carnivorous plant magazine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the 20/80 rule:

20% of the people doing 80% of the work.

Will

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh...from my experience its been about 95/5. lol
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for the record, give i know a couple of ppl in the magazine business......even in the world fo firearms and hunting with 44 million gun owners in the US it is EXTREAMLY difficult to get a magazine to last more than a year....what usually happens is they produce a few outstanding issues to start with, run out of great material......run a few issues that are just OK....maybe another that sucks and then die......add that to the fact its extreamly hard to get advertisers for a brand new publication....most advertisers want hard circulation numbers, reader makeup ect before they plop down hard earned money......and all the money you make is via advertisers.....newstand price rarely covers cost of printing and getting copies to the newstand.....even the mags that cost $6 plus...........

if your serious about doing it i would go the online route....much cheaper start up and if it does extreamly well you can kick around the idea of starting a print version.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely magazines have a poor success rate, like Rattler said. But something not-so-grand as a slick magazine would do, if people wanted to organize to do it. But...you gotta scrounge up articles...get it laid out...etc. It's a lot of work. BUT...the more people working on it, the less burden.

So Matt...you gonna organize this and do it?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Matt...you gonna organize this and do it?
    jeez! I never said I actually wanted to do it all myself! It was just an idea... lol

But since some of you are talking so seriously about it, I'd be glad to help/participate if someone decides to start something like this up. I really don't think I have enough time on my hands to personally do it myself, but then again, with enough motivation I can probably find time to do a lot more than I ever thought I could.
    I still think it's a good idea despite how some of you make it sound like it will fail horribly.

JB OrchidGuy, I think you have the right ideas.

Matt
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    I still think it's a good idea despite how some of you make it sound like it will fail horribly.
    Now, now, now... Nobody is saying it is not a good idea. My opinion is that the various CP forums act in the stead of a magazine. For a magazine I would want to see a variety of CP related topics including conservation efforts, scientific findings, CPs in situ, and featured CP enthusiasts; all of which I get on a semi-regular basis from the forums. Would I read a pdf that was sent to my email? Of course I would (at least the first few if the quality of the journalism was good, and if it was, I would keep reading until it wasn't).

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am, and It will fail horribly. You're not going to get it on shelves if that's what you wanted. The best you'll ever do is have a small subscription you mail out. 200 subscribers would be a huge number for something like that, I think.

I don't mean to be a downer. I'm just being realistic. A PDF file is more realistic but I hardly consider tat a magazine, and besides. There's only so much to talk about that's worthy of submitting as an article. What could you possibly put in it that A: isn't already on a forum or the listserve, or B: in the newsletter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually some of the magazines i get on a regular basis i can get electronically instead via a PDF for a cheaper subscription rate.......i dont do it cause i prefer having the hard copy but im told its an option that is getting more and more popular every month.....infact if i wanted to get it electronically i could get it about a week before it even hits the press let alone in the mail.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12