Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carnivorous plant magazine

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

carnivorous plant magazine

I'm pretty much a regular at bookstores like Barnes & Noble, Borders, Books-a-Million, etc, and every time I go, I head towards the the magazines first. Most of the magazines I look at directly reflect my hobbies and interests, so I'm always really let down when I go to look for some good literature on cps and find nothing.

So.....

Has anyone thought of making a magazine solely devoted to carnivorous plants?

There are plenty of skilled writers around here, so I definately think it's possible. It would probably make some pretty good cash, as well as spread the hobby, raise conservation awareness, and give us hobbyists something entertaining to read.

Does anyone else like this idea? I think it would be great.

Please post your opinions, ideas, etc here.

-Matt
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ICPS newsletter is the closest you're going to get to a magazine. You can pretend a scientific journal is a magazine if you want!

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now it is, but I think an actual magazine has potential.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To those of us engulfed / enthralled by these plants, this seems so obvious as to be a no-brainer. However, CPs don't have all that large of a base of enthusiasts as it would appear. Heck, it would be a major accomplishment to get a regular piece in an existing magazine - like Fine Gardening, Horticulture, The American Gardner, or some other fairly mainstream periodical...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be a good idea to do like a semi-monthly online magazine to start and then possibly a semi-monthly print. I think the exposure would increase awareness of CPs.

In fact I am a member of AOS (American Orchid Society) just for the magazine, if they were to put their magazine in the book stores then I think their membership or atleast their awareness would increase. I bet there would be people just for the magazine. The only problem will be to get enough articles to make a meaningful one. That is why it would be best to start out semi-monthly if not semi-anual. I would gladdly help once I am done with school to attempt to put one together. It is just going to take some investment capital to get it off the ground though.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't think a published carnivorous plant magazine is a viable option at all.

There may be many people who are capable of writing wonderful articles in the CP community, but how many people are willing to do the work? I was the newsletter editor for two specialty regional organizations (one dealing with aviculture and pet birds, the other being sign language interpreting) and I had to fight tooth and nail to get any type of submissions to make a semi-quality monthly and quarterly newsletter, respectively. I'm sure Barry Rice or anyone else involved with editing CPN would agree that submissions of articles is an issue for that publication as well.

A second thing to think about is not only do you need the articles, but I'd suspect you'd need a graphic artist to handle layout, etc. It'd be a substantial financial investment to get anything like this off the ground.

My understanding of the purpose of a CP magazine would be something aimed at laymen rather than the scientific journal nature of the CPN? I think people's energies would be better directed at writing and submitting articles (aimed at the layperson) to the CPN editor rather than establishing an independent magazine. I can easily imagine that the CPN editorial team would be highly appreciative of articles of this type. Besides, a membership to ICPS (which gets you access to CPN) is hardly more than a magazine subscription and it supports the organizations, not a for-profit group.

At the same time, I think an on-line magazine that could complement the CPN could be a very viable option. Desktop publishing software is really affordable and powerful now and electrons are MUCH cheaper than ink and paper.

Just my $0.02.

Will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgorum View Post
    I think people's energies would be better directed at writing and submitting articles (aimed at the layperson) to the CPN editor rather than establishing an independent magazine. I can easily imagine that the CPN editorial team would be highly appreciative of articles of this type.
    Very good point(s). I suspect that the 'scientific' approach of the CPN is due more to who submits the articles than the actual readership. Periodically, Barry does have to beat the bushes for submissions - the editors would likely love to have many articles to choose from when publishing ...

I think there would be some interest in many, fairly-easy to publish stories - like some of the fieldtrips we see published here, ICPS & CPUK, interviews with some growers & photos of their greenhouses (I could easily rattle off 20 growers who's greenhouses I'd love to see - both in & ex-USA).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be cool to have a CPzine...but like Will said, there are often tons of people who support the IDEA of something...and few who will do the work. Every organization I've worked with is begging for volunteers. NASC included! When it comes to doing WORK, many hours of work... and basically doing it for free...the enthusiasm wanes.

In the rock club I'm a member of...its the same handful of people doing all the work for all the club functions year after year after year.

And I can tell you...it takes many, many hours to produce something like a newsletter or magazine on a regular basis.

However...I'm all for something like that.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast