Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ship Bare-Root is more safe?

Destiny VS Cause And Effect Empyrean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is its dionaea? bareroot better or potted? not the long leaf dionaea short leaf lie low on the ground

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want to prepare some soil? Do you have a pot available that is the appropriate size for the plant you are recieving? If the answer to one or both of these questions is no then ordering potted. To answer your questions yes shipping bare root is safer than sending plants potted, it lowers the risk of damage to the plant but some plants do not like their roots disturbed and with high quality packaging shipping potted is just as equal if not safer than ordering bare root.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I order Dionaea potted whenever possible. They do not like having their roots disturbed and, in my opinion, are better off being shipped potted.
    I'd rather spend the extra $3 or $4 than have to wait one or two months for it to recover.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always went bare root to prevent damage and the fact that a few states have restrictions on soil. Why bother to remember what state when bare root is just safer.

Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    I order Dionaea potted whenever possible. They do not like having their roots disturbed and, in my opinion, are better off being shipped potted.
    I'd rather spend the extra $3 or $4 than have to wait one or two months for it to recover.
    I don't mean to sound like a jerk but exactly how are you abusing your bare root plants when you receive them that they take that long to recover?
    Mine most always resume normal growth after a week or two unless I didn't know they where grown indoors so that I would have to harden them for the outdoors, then they take a month or two to recover. Dionaea is at the top of the best shipper list just below the drosera weeds in my experience.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't mean to sound like a jerk but exactly how are you abusing your bare root plants when you receive them that they take that long to recover?
    Mine most always resume normal growth after a week or two unless I didn't know they where grown indoors so that I would have to harden them for the outdoors, then they take a month or two to recover. Dionaea is at the top of the best shipper list just below the drosera weeds in my experience.
    I had meant to add "if it gets damaged" to the end of the last sentence. I guess I forgot. Whoops.
    And all my flytraps grow pretty nicely, IMO, so I'm pretty sure I don't "abuse" them. lol
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just got 2 dionaeas from Andrew last week and after they lost few leaves they started growing right back...without any problem.....i dont want to talk about the typical ...you can do whatever you want with it and is still not going to affected!
    .....and i will say this again: it not only about the shipping cost!!! i had a few plants that died because of parasites beneath the soil surface ....and aged soil too.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the years, I have typically received plants bare-root (wrapped in sphagnum for the most part), especially from overseas. Almost without exception, all arrived and adapted well to repotting -- including Cephalotus and Heliamphora. I sometimes feel that a potted plant has a greater potential to receive damage in shipping . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Empyrean View Post
    i been thinking lately, order bare root is better than order potted plant? have anyone have receive any damaged plant? mostly r potted right?
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As BigBella said earlier, some small, sensitive plants may be better if shipped potted - however, for the most part, if the plant's roots are in moist LFS - and the packing is reasonable - things go well.

However, one should also consider the type of plant and the season. If the plant has a dormancy - why not ship then? I like to ship during dormancy (toward the end) and when temps are not extreme. I'd much rather receive a Sarr in early March than mid-August. How often will the mailman allow a package to sit all day in the searing sun?? I've received a D. falconeri in early December when the temps were in the teens (*F) and the plant did fine. However, the probability of being able to get these results under less than optimal conditions on an ongoing basis is not great. I like to stack everything I can in my favor whenever possible ...

I didn't participate in the NASC auction recently just because of this issue. I originally had plans to donate a Ceph 'Hummer's Giant', D. schizandra & D. prolifera but the temps at the start of the auction made me reconsider... Would I be willing to ship a 2nd Ceph when the recipient received green mush? How about a 3rd? The probabilities of this occurring were just too high - especially with the types of plants ... Maybe next time ....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast