Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ship Bare-Root is more safe?

Destiny VS Cause And Effect Empyrean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Ship Bare-Root is more safe?

i been thinking lately, order bare root is better than order potted plant? have anyone have receive any damaged plant? mostly r potted right?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends. If I were ordering Cephalotus or a very sensitive plant (not like there are that many) I'd request potted if they were small. Otherwise I'd want bare-root on larger sensitive plants as well as everything else of any size. A pot increases the chance that the plant will arrive crushed or otherwise damaged. I always repot into my own media of choice anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bare root is lighter to save money on shipping, and it usually makes the plant cheaper too. Plus with bare root, nothing else is in the box to hurt the plant and soil can't get dumped all over. I got a nepenthes bare root, but I had no idea it was coming bare root so I had to go out and get everything. I don't think it's good to handle the roots of any CP's too much, so if something is bare root just make sure you have everything set up for it when it arrives.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Destiny VS Cause And Effect Empyrean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well ya i have experienced once. a vft i order was in pot, altho it comes with a clear plastic cup dormed, but the plant was seriously damage by the mediums. most the trap and leaf were crushed by the mediums and really messy when i try to rescure the plant .,, bare-root always arrive with damp paper towel, and scine the bareroot can survive from the shipping with just a damp paper towel i think the bareroot plant should have no problem to survive until i get home from work and get the plant a refreshing potting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i always go bare root mostly because of prasites and cost....plus you can't know if the soil that the plant comes with is any good...might be too old anyway
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends on alot of things......

species
    size
    who is sending it
    what method of shipping is being used(fedex, priority, first class)
    time of year

lots of variables.....from some ppl i have no problems receiving potted plants, others i insist on bare root......seen more issues caused by someone who doesnt know how to pack a plant sending a potted plant than bare root.....that pot adds alot of wieght that can case issues during shipping if not packed right......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No not always it is nice to have the plant established in a pot upon arrival. The plant being crushed by the media/soil can be prevented by taping down the soil with plastic and securing it to the pot firmly with lots of tape. And then put a cup over the pot to protect the plants leaves and prevent it from being crushed by the pot if the box happened to have been tipped upside down.

I think there should be international standards for sending plants potted so that you can buy/trade plants potted and not have to worry about damages to the plant resulting from poor packing quality.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, in my experiances, it's all in the packaging. When it's done properly, and I do mean properly, plants that don't have their roots disturbed will recover from shipping shock quicker. Check out this thread. I photo documented how I packaged a Sarr with a foot tall pitcher, potted, to another forum member. It arrived in absolutly perfect shape, but it took about an hour to package. I think the same principal of putting a cover around the base of the plant, to insure the soil doesn't move, could be done with most CP's, including VFT's, but it has to be done on a custom, plant by plant, pot by pot basis.
    Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast