What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

well ive got some fruit this year

the saskatoons i planted last year have bloomed this year and some of the fruits are getting close to ripe......planted 3 unknown varieties last year....planted 2 named varieties this year which should have larger berries
IMG_0315.jpg

the weeping mulberry i planted last year is now about 5 foot tall has about 100 berries on it this year....have gotten to taste two so far......flavor is similar to a store bought raspberry....am hoping my success with this one means i may get a larger fruited, more flavorful variety through our winters
IMG_0312.jpg

gooseberries, this is an unknown variety but i received 4 named varieties this year that ill get to try next year.....
IMG_0311.jpg

and a bleeding heart flower from the front yard.....now that its getting pretty warm out it will likely be dieing down to the ground soon
IMG_0309.jpg

Awesome. I have a Blackberry tree, too...or we think they're blackberries.

blackberries dont grow in trees, they are a bramble like raspberries.....mulberries do and im told "Himalayan blackberries" can hit 25 feet though im not sure if they are technically a tree

Congratulations on getting fruit! We harvest wild mulberries and have a freezer full of them (our birds love them), hope yours does well for you :)

I don't know what saskatoons are, but congratulations!

time to make some wine...

hah maybe next year.....im going to have maybe a cup of gooseberries this year, 1/4 cup of mulberries and 1/4 cup of saskatoons not enough really to even make a gallon of wine........in a few years maybe but not yet

saskatoons are sorta like a blueberry that grows on the northern plains in the US up fairly far into Canada......when yah hit the mountains they are replaced by huckleberries(which are actually blueberries that grow in the western US) and in the east by blueberries......however unlike true blueberries they are drought tolerant and grow fine in clay soils that are slightly alkaline instead of the acidic soils true blueberries grow in.....

Oh those sound pretty cool... Do they taste good?

the wild type, which is basically what the above are are ok....nothing outstanding but not bad....the cultivated varieties like what i planted this year are supposed to be much better.......

Mulberries. *shudder* Maybe it depends on the variety but regular ol' mulberry trees are invasive here. Once you got it...you'll never be rid of it. I'm pulling and cutting mulberry out of my yard constantly. Blackberry is invasive too...I have that too. And the thorns will rip you to death.

There is a mulberry tree at the end of the parking lot here at the office. If you are unlucky enough to have to park there when the lot's full...you'll get stuck under the mulberry tree and get berries and bird poop on your car.

They taste ok...rather weak-flavored to me. I'm waiting for black berry season to come in. Yum!

Sounds like you have quite the fruitopia there. That is cool! :) You need a fig bush.

can only grow figs as house plants......

as to the mulberries.....i kinda like the taste of them.....thinking ill try a white fruited cultivar next for my yard as its a small yard so i dont have to worry bout fruit staining things and the Illinois Everbearing for my parents yard as they have over an acre and i can stick it in a back corner where it should cause no harm.....unlike you PAK im quite limited in what i can grow as far as fruits.....ill take what i can get....

Well yeah...it does get a little chilly over there where you are. lol

Yeah...fruit does well here. I do wish I had a fig bush but they get BIG. I love fresh figs. Most people only know figs from Fig Newtons. If you only knew... :)

Back