Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should we prepare?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in a crisis situation, food hoarding would be a liabillity. It would be you vs. the starving masses with weapons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obregon562 View Post
    I turn off the computer for a few hours...

If that formula was true, we be paying hundreds of dollars per gallon today. When cars were first introduced in the US, they were an expensive oddity. Gas wasn't common then, and cost ~$4 a gallon in early 20th century dollars. We are not paying $150 a gallon, and your formula is highly unlikely.

$78 is next to nothing, honestly. I am a lower-middle or middle-middle class citizen, and trust me, I am CHEAP. $78 is, like 2, 8-hour, min. wage work days. If gas is so precious, 16 hours is a small price to pay.

If you think the government should play a more active role in economics, ask the North Koreans how they like it. Then maybe. If our government did somehow get that much power, think of how corrupt our already-corrupt politicians would be. Most of their biggest sponsors are oil companies, so if they were allowed direct access to non-oil fuel companies, they would probably shut them down or buy them out.

Oh, your not?

Really, I think this gas "crisis" is just a grossly exaggerated scare. Things are not that bad. The only people who suffer are the ones who are too lazy to adapt and change to the world. They are prime examples of Mr. Darwin’s "survival of the fittest". If you don’t want to work a little more, or do a few things that are a little inconvenient, you have no right to complain. End of it.

So your saying people are over reacting because YOU don't mind the cost as it isn't making YOUR life any harder. Did you check to see if any other families are having issues? The prices are rising, but people aren't getting to work longer shifts or getting raises. You don't mind working longer, so, CAN you work more hours? My dad has to constanly leave the state for work so he is hardly home so my brothers can go to collegde. Don't act like just because things are fine for you they are fine for everyone. I also remember that in europe people walk more, so if people are driving less, they buy less gas, so gas companies still need to make a fair profit on the amount that they are selling.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I agree that it's bad and my clients don't like a jump in twenty percent for all services which involve shipping or a commute. It is simply that all of this has been predicted for the last few years by a slough of people and no one seemed particularly interested in doing anything. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area which now has about the most expensive gas in the nation, along with NYC. It royally sucks!

The problem has been a country which has been sitting on gigantic reserves but refuses to reap the bounty in its own backyard. For some reason our own lands are considered far too pristine a site for exploration though we don't seem to mind despoiling Canada, Central America, or the desert ecosystems of the Middle East for our tank to the mall. And, as our dollar falls to foreign markets as the Fed lowers our interest rates, it can only get worse. In our laziness and apathy, we have allowed this to happen.

There is always room for panic, but when has that ever solved a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    So your saying people are over reacting because YOU don't mind the cost as it isn't making YOUR life any harder. Did you check to see if any other families are having issues? The prices are rising, but people aren't getting to work longer shifts or getting raises. You don't mind working longer, so, CAN you work more hours? My dad has to constanly leave the state for work so he is hardly home so my brothers can go to collegde. Don't act like just because things are fine for you they are fine for everyone. I also remember that in europe people walk more, so if people are driving less, they buy less gas, so gas companies still need to make a fair profit on the amount that they are selling.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurm View Post
    I think in a crisis situation, food hoarding would be a liabillity. It would be you vs. the starving masses with weapons!
    That's a good point.

So your saying people are over reacting because YOU don't mind the cost as it isn't making YOUR life any harder.
    He didn't say that at all. In fact, he gave an example of how it is making his life harder, and how he has modified his lifestyle to adapt to the conditions.

My dad has to constanly leave the state for work so he is hardly home so my brothers can go to collegde.
    Nobody is saying it's not a squeeze or tight for everyone. And it is true, that it is more manageable for some than others. Just because someone is rich or a CEO doesn't mean they aren't being hurt, either. And, is your dad leaving the state solely because of gas prices? Regardless, I only assume your dad and your family will be better off (and everyone, as unselfish as that may seem) when alternative fuel becomes more readily available; which, we both agree, is only being accelerated because of the fuel "crisis." Furthermore, the attitude that it doesn't matter, people are selfish, nothing will ever change isn't helping your dad stay instate more.

Quote Originally Posted by obregon562 View Post
    Really, I think this gas "crisis" is just a grossly exaggerated scare. Things are not that bad. The only people who suffer are the ones who are too lazy to adapt and change to the world. They are prime examples of Mr. Darwin’s "survival of the fittest". If you don’t want to work a little more, or do a few things that are a little inconvenient, you have no right to complain. End of it.
    Tagging on to that, Ant: I feel for you and your family, and everyone else for that matter. But again, there are things that everyone can do to alter his or her own lifestyle that may not make everything perfect, but can make living even slightly more manageable (which I'm sure your family is already doing, much like many of American families around the country).

Don't act like just because things are fine for you they are fine for everyone.
    Again, I don't think he is.

I also remember that in europe people walk more, so if people are driving less, they buy less gas, so gas companies still need to make a fair profit on the amount that they are selling.
    People were still driving an equivalent amount when the prices started and continued to soar. Only recently has there been any evidence of people driving less, and altering plans that involve gas consumption. There are tons of news clips about summer plans being canceled or changed because people are just now starting to drive less since the future of oil is so unpredictable.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember someone on TV said that if the rise in gas prices is what decided whether or not you'll go on vacation, then you shouldn't be going on a vacation anyway.

Let's not forget that the USD is a joke at the moment. The Euro is worth $1.59, and the pound sterling is worth $2!!! Even Canada's dollar is worth more! That's unacceptable. We used to be on top in the world economy, and maybe we can undo the damage and repay the debts to other countries. DEBTS to OTHER countries! WTF was that POS thinking? We're a joke, and it's the fault of the people who voted for Bush. I blame them directly. It's because of THEM that we're even having this conversation. What, the first four years of hell wasn't enough? Yeah. I blame them. What's his current approval rating anyway? like 28%? Maybe it just got so bad the pundits stopped keeping track.

You want four more years of what we've been going through? Do you? Vote for McCain if you like the current hellhole and wish Bush could have a third term. I'm looking at you, 28%. Maybe you can flush the toilet and send the rest of the country down the drain while your at the voting booth.

A vegetable LITERALLY would have made a better president.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the winner for the "Most Failed Attempt to Connect Two Totally Unrelated Things - 2008" goes to:

We're a joke, and it's the fault of the people who voted for Bush. I blame them directly.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the problem arises from horrid mismanagement on both sides of the aisles. I believe that Congress' approval rating to be even lower than that of "Dubya's." Also, the wholesale ignorance of the American population on the subject of economics also lends itself to the problem. Explaining the relationship of the lowering of interest rates (a feel-good maneuver to be sure in the short term) to the diminishment of the dollar overseas, falls on deaf ears. remember also, that oil is traded in a free market and in dollars . . .

I wonder if there is a connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I remember someone on TV said that if the rise in gas prices is what decided whether or not you'll go on vacation, then you shouldn't be going on a vacation anyway.

Let's not forget that the USD is a joke at the moment. The Euro is worth $1.59, and the pound sterling is worth $2!!! Even Canada's dollar is worth more! That's unacceptable. We used to be on top in the world economy, and maybe we can undo the damage and repay the debts to other countries. DEBTS to OTHER countries! WTF was that POS thinking? We're a joke, and it's the fault of the people who voted for Bush. I blame them directly. It's because of THEM that we're even having this conversation. What, the first four years of hell wasn't enough? Yeah. I blame them. What's his current approval rating anyway? like 28%? Maybe it just got so bad the pundits stopped keeping track.

You want four more years of what we've been going through? Do you? Vote for McCain if you like the current hellhole and wish Bush could have a third term. I'm looking at you, 28%. Maybe you can flush the toilet and send the rest of the country down the drain while your at the voting booth.

A vegetable LITERALLY would have made a better president.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh duh dude. It's because of him, but he didn't vote himself in (well...) now did he? No, he didn't. I totally blame the people that voted for him. They're responsible for putting a man in power who screwed everything up. Our money is down the toilet, our military is in the ground, we're facing an energy "crisis"....

And they did it...TWICE! And I'm leaving for a few days for the holiday. Enjoy the fourth, peeps.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast