What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we prepare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the price of gas continues rising and the trucks shipping foods went on strike. The price of food could go up drastically. Should we prepare? I say yes, isn't it better to be safe than sorry? We should store away non perishable food like canned food and top ramen and tv dinners just to alleviative stress if we could no longer afford food. I don't think it could happen right away but I think it could definitely happen in a few years. Opinions? Somebody probably knows more about this than I do and I would like to hear what they think.

im in the process of turning my backyard into a large veggie garden/mini orchard......as far as meat, well ill likely have a minimum of 3 big game licences to fill and if i wish i can likely take up to 7 deer alone this year though i havent heard for sure yet though worst case senario should the SHTF for reals im sure i could trade work for a steer from my uncle.....making my own homebrews aswell........im hoping within 6 years to be pretty well self sufficient for most the year fruit and veggie wise....will still have to by the occational pineapple or banana but peaches, pears, apples and a host of other things, especially berries, are easily with in my power to grow......

BTW TV dinners are perishable........

If you were a Boy Scout you'd already "be prepared." Might as well stock up on zombie killing gear while we're at it. You just never know...

Seriously though, in my area, local produce and food has been on an upswing, and many of my grocery stores are selling and advertising more local stuff. I think this would be highly beneficial if gas prices force everything down the drain.

xvart.

There is nothing wrong with stocking up, because who knows what is going to happen. I wish they would go on strike then maybe the government would finally do something about gas prices. What I have been seeing on TV there are some steps they can do to help but haven't.

I would prepare, but my parents probably wouldn't. We're going to make a garden, and if that actually happens we'll be ok for a little while. LOL xvart, that would be cool to fight zombies but it would suck at the same time.

No. Not at all. That’s ridiculous dude!

Think about the recent increase in gas prices mathematically. Say a year ago you were paying $3.00 a gallon. You have a mid-size SUV that has a 24 gal. Tank and you get 18 mpg. For $72 you get 432 miles. If you are a typical American, you drive ~35 miles a day. You have to fill up every 12 days. Twice to three times a month. $180 a month on average. Now, it's $4.30 (?) per gallon on average. Now you pay $103.20 for 432 miles. Now you have to pay $258 a month. You pay $78 more. Not that much more if you are used to paying $180.

And if you dont like math, think of history. we have always historically shadowed Europe, and their gas is ~$9 a gallon. And it's increasing. they still drive cars. they have become smart though, and bought small little cars that get 40000 mpg. It's a ***** to fill up, but it's a semi-annual event there. If we can just be more fuel efficient, we will be quite ok.

So maybe you go out to dinner a little less, walk a little more, plant a garden, or are a little more gas-wise. Those aren't bad things. Actually, they are quite good. So, in all honesty, this is a total over reaction. People and the media totally over play the gas issue. You do not need to hoard food. This isn't the Nuclear Winter. Not the Apocalypse. Sure, I’d rather be paying $2.00 a gallon, but that’s not gonna happen. We're fine, a little disgruntled, but fine. And if things are bothering you so much, ride a bike.

obregon, that is NOW. That is completely missing what people are complaining about, in 2000 we only paid $1 or so a gallon, now it is 4x more. So if it continues like this it would look something like this.
2010=$5
2012=$6
2014=$7
2016=$8
2018=$9
2020=$10
Now I am pretty sure most of us will be alive in 2020. So with your averages it would cost $350 a DAY, thats way more then the cost of a month now. Obregin, look to the futures problems too, not just the current ones and see if we can stop them before they happen cause some may still affect you. Also it is hard to pay $78 dollars more a month on gas. My family is having trouble like MOST. I think the goverment should sponsor nuclear, wind, and maybe solar power development allot more. There is no easy way to fix fossil fuel car problems until the eletrical energy is converted.

2010=$5
2012=$6
2014=$7
2016=$8
2018=$9
2020=$10

These numbers have no bearing on reality because gas prices are hardly a linear equation.

There is no easy way to fix fossil fuel car problems until the eletrical energy is converted.

And there is no inspiration to work on more effecient energy sources with cheap alternatives. Gas has always been much, much higher in Europe and they phenomenal public transit systems (by comparison), people walk everywhere, etc. In my opinion it's like the whole global warming debate: whether or not we are significantly altering the earthen environment, people are still becoming better inhabitants by being more eco-friendly. The same is true of high gas prices; regardless of if the gas prices drop significantly because of legislation, world peace, or whatever, we're still making progress towards a better end.

I agree with most of what Obregon is saying.

BTW TV dinners are perishable........

Only if your TV stops working! lol.

xvart.

again, you still are ignoring the future. The "better end" you were talking about can only happen if we activly try to make things better for everyone, but that won't happen because people are self richous horribly selfish creatures that should have never existed.
BTW the reason we NEED better resourses is because if everyone had an american mild class lifestyle it would take 4 earths to support! The only thing I see in the future in enviromental and human suffering. I have no faith in human nature.

What are you doing?

me? Um, well stating my belief the normal human natture is built on selfishness. I don't mean to sound like I am insulting anyone, or flaming, Ithink it may sound like that because I am expressing a negitive view or the human species.

Ant, believe it or not selfishness is actually the best possible thing anyone can imagine. Heres why:
Its not the selfish people who get in the way, its the kind people. If everyone were greedy, then they wouldn't need anyone to be caring for them because they would have hogged all of their resources for themselves. Makes sense yes? It all balances out. People like you who try to fight the system of greedyness are in fact ruining our soceity by making yourselves suffer by giving to others, which makes greedy people look bad. Don't try to mess with human nature. Its there for a reason.
Ant, I think you could get along quite nicely with the creatures in my avatar. j/k

again, you still are ignoring the future. The "better end" you were talking about can only happen if we activly try to make things better for everyone, but that won't happen because people are self richous horribly selfish creatures that should have never existed.

No, I'm not. Tell me about the advances that have occurred in automobile hybrid technology in the past five years? I can't even fathom how someone can think that we aren't "actively try[ing] to make things better." It's true, hybrid technology was ramping up before the oil/gas "crisis," but the way things are only helps push that cause. Any car manufacturer who produces a hybrid just got exponentially more sales this year and every year from here on out. Every manufacturer who produces Hummers saw a dramatic decrease in sales this year. My whole point about the "better end" was that maybe the increased alternative fuel was only coincidentally coincided with high oil prices; BUT, it certainly isn't slowing down the research toward a more sustainable future. In fact, it's most likely speeding it up.

The more people who want reliable, fuel efficient cars, the more companies are going to want to cater to that market. That market is increasing everyday because people are complaining about gas prices. In five, ten, or however many years, when hybrid cars are more affordable and more common than gas-only cars; don't you think that is better than what we have currently? Capitalism at it's finest, I suppose. High gas prices are only a catalyst for getting to that end, faster.

BTW the reason we NEED better resourses is because if everyone had an american mild class lifestyle it would take 4 earths to support!

The world's population has doubled every 35 years, and it's not because of low gas prices, driving Hummer's, and watching plasma screen TVs.

The only thing I see in the future in enviromental and human suffering. I have no faith in human nature.

Well that's your problem... We can either sit around and complain, or we can empower ourselves to take advantage of the opportunities we have to make a more sustainable future (and yes, still complain at the water fountain at work). You really have to look longterm here. Yes, gas prices suck, today. But it won't matter when we're all flying around with our solar powered personal jet packs.

xvart.

My best friend has his entire basement stuffed wall to wall with supplies and food. 1800 sq. feet! Shelf after shelf after shelf. And yes he is very well armed!

Ant, believe it or not selfishness is actually the best possible thing anyone can imagine. Heres why:
Its not the selfish people who get in the way, its the kind people. If everyone were greedy, then they wouldn't need anyone to be caring for them because they would have hogged all of their resources for themselves. Makes sense yes? It all balances out. People like you who try to fight the system of greedyness are in fact ruining our soceity by making yourselves suffer by giving to others, which makes greedy people look bad. Don't try to mess with human nature. Its there for a reason.
Ant, I think you could get along quite nicely with the creatures in my avatar. j/k

Um, That completely confuses me. If everyone were greedy poor people would be screwed because their are different levels of knowledge. If someone figures out how to cheat people out of money they would and basically make a entire world of trickery and theivery. :crazy:

xvart said:
No, I'm not. Tell me about the advances that have occurred in automobile hybrid technology in the past five years? I can't even fathom how someone can think that we aren't "actively try[ing] to make things better." It's true, hybrid technology was ramping up before the oil/gas "crisis," but the way things are only helps push that cause. Any car manufacturer who produces a hybrid just got exponentially more sales this year and every year from here on out. Every manufacturer who produces Hummers saw a dramatic decrease in sales this year. My whole point about the "better end" was that maybe the increased alternative fuel was only coincidentally coincided with high oil prices; BUT, it certainly isn't slowing down the research toward a more sustainable future. In fact, it's most likely speeding it up.

The more people who want reliable, fuel efficient cars, the more companies are going to want to cater to that market. That market is increasing everyday because people are complaining about gas prices. In five, ten, or however many years, when hybrid cars are more affordable and more common than gas-only cars; don't you think that is better than what we have currently? Capitalism at it's finest, I suppose. High gas prices are only a catalyst for getting to that end, faster.

Um, the human nature is only conserned with their lives witch is supported by money. People only care about themselves and usually only want their lives to be better so they want to save their money to make their lives better. The cleaner resourse end is all just an effect that is caused by the want for cheeper energy.

xvart said:
Well that's your problem... We can either sit around and complain, or we can empower ourselves to take advantage of the opportunities we have to make a more sustainable future (and yes, still complain at the water fountain at work). You really have to look longterm here. Yes, gas prices suck, today. But it won't matter when we're all flying around with our solar powered personal jet packs.

Last time I checked, one person doesn't change the entire countries transportation alone. And if they don't complain (debating and express their views) no one else well understand what you think and nothing will happen. Like it or not complaining is nessecary to convince others to act as well.

Last edited:
This argument is pointless. I am not going to bother checking this thread again.

I mean, what are you doing besides complaining about how much you dislike human kind? What are you doing to make things better besides being cynical?

And why post to say you won't check the thread when you weren't even participating?

Um, the human nature is only conserned with their lives witch is supported by money. People only care about themselves and usually only want their lives to be better so they want to save their money to make their lives better.

That's a pretty extremist and narrow minded viewpoint, don't you think? You're telling me every single person in the entire world doesn't care about anything outside of him or herself? I bet you would get a pretty long list of people on this forum alone that are involved in jobs, clubs, activities, etc. that have little to do with personal gain.

The cleaner resourse end is all just an effect that is caused by the want for cheeper energy.

And cheaper energy is only good for me since I only care about myself? And here I thought it would be beneficial for everyone, and better for the environment. As I said, it may be an outcome, but it that doesn't mean it was all just smoke and mirrors and we all were deceived. Like it or not, the whole world is not being duped or tricked into thinking that cheaper and more efficient energy is just self sustaining, egotistical, selfish behavior.

Last time I checked, one person doesn't change the entire countries transportation alone.

Maybe so, but do you think that every single innovation was spawned by a conglomerate of CEOs in their private jets, getting lapdances, while watching youtube on their iPods? For example, Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. One man revolutionized the way the entire world communicates.

if they don't complain (debating and express their views) no one else well understand what you think and nothing will happen. Like it or not complaining is nessecary to convince others to act as well.

I think you missed the part in my post where I agree with that. My point, that apparently wasn't clear enough, was that only complaining doesn't do anything. Yes, the complaints act as a catalyst for revolution. But at the end of the day, the people who only complained only reap the benefits of the people who changed the world. At the end of the day, the people who only complained get to say just that: "I wasn't a part of the change. I just complained." I suppose they could say, "If it wasn't for my complaining and inaction, we wouldn't have hybrid cars." Talk about selfish! It was Gandhi who said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

There is a huge difference between just complaining in casual conversation and complaining and being adamant about nothing ever changing.

Everyone who complained about how slow letters got to their loved ones back in the 1800s only got the benefits of being able to call them with a telephone, which I might add was thanks to one man; which, is totally counter intuitive to your argument about the self serving ideology everyone seems to possess.

I might add that my posts may seem rather "idealistic" and "grand," but I want to be clear that it is extremely applicable to the topic at hand.

xvart.

edit:
This argument is pointless. I am not going to bother checking this thread again.

Okay... thanks for the update...

Last edited:
[QOUTE=xvart]That's a pretty extremist and narrow minded viewpoint, don't you think? You're telling me every single person in the entire world doesn't care about anything outside of him or herself? I bet you would get a pretty long list of people on this forum alone that are involved in jobs, clubs, activities, etc. that have little to do with personal gain.[/QUOTE]

Thats true seeing how this is a forum made up of people that love plants and animals. If someone didn't care atleast about endangered carnivorous plants why would they even join the forum?

[QOUTE=xvart]And cheaper energy is only good for me since I only care about myself? And here I thought it would be beneficial for everyone, and better for the environment. As I said, it may be an outcome, but it that doesn't mean it was all just smoke and mirrors and we all were deceived. Like it or not, the whole world is not being duped or tricked into thinking that cheaper and more efficient energy is just self sustaining, egotistical, selfish behavior.[/QOUTE]

I am not saying everyone is doing it for self gain. I am saying that most people wouldn't do it if it was going to cost more and more money just to help the enviroment. I am saying if it makes their lives harder then most people wouldn't go for the new energy sources because it only helps the enviroment.

[QOUTE=xvart]Maybe so, but do you think that every single innovation was spawned by a conglomerate of CEOs in their private jets, getting lapdances, while watching youtube on their iPods? For example, Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. One man revolutionized the way the entire world communicates.[/QUOTE]

Okay maybe he did, but that is not trying to replace a convineant transportation method with a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back