Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should we prepare?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Should we prepare?

What if the price of gas continues rising and the trucks shipping foods went on strike. The price of food could go up drastically. Should we prepare? I say yes, isn't it better to be safe than sorry? We should store away non perishable food like canned food and top ramen and tv dinners just to alleviative stress if we could no longer afford food. I don't think it could happen right away but I think it could definitely happen in a few years. Opinions? Somebody probably knows more about this than I do and I would like to hear what they think.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im in the process of turning my backyard into a large veggie garden/mini orchard......as far as meat, well ill likely have a minimum of 3 big game licences to fill and if i wish i can likely take up to 7 deer alone this year though i havent heard for sure yet though worst case senario should the SHTF for reals im sure i could trade work for a steer from my uncle.....making my own homebrews aswell........im hoping within 6 years to be pretty well self sufficient for most the year fruit and veggie wise....will still have to by the occational pineapple or banana but peaches, pears, apples and a host of other things, especially berries, are easily with in my power to grow......

BTW TV dinners are perishable........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were a Boy Scout you'd already "be prepared." Might as well stock up on zombie killing gear while we're at it. You just never know...

Seriously though, in my area, local produce and food has been on an upswing, and many of my grocery stores are selling and advertising more local stuff. I think this would be highly beneficial if gas prices force everything down the drain.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing wrong with stocking up, because who knows what is going to happen. I wish they would go on strike then maybe the government would finally do something about gas prices. What I have been seeing on TV there are some steps they can do to help but haven't.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would prepare, but my parents probably wouldn't. We're going to make a garden, and if that actually happens we'll be ok for a little while. LOL xvart, that would be cool to fight zombies but it would suck at the same time.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the same here like maneatingmoo

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Not at all. That’s ridiculous dude!

Think about the recent increase in gas prices mathematically. Say a year ago you were paying $3.00 a gallon. You have a mid-size SUV that has a 24 gal. Tank and you get 18 mpg. For $72 you get 432 miles. If you are a typical American, you drive ~35 miles a day. You have to fill up every 12 days. Twice to three times a month. $180 a month on average. Now, it's $4.30 (?) per gallon on average. Now you pay $103.20 for 432 miles. Now you have to pay $258 a month. You pay $78 more. Not that much more if you are used to paying $180.

And if you dont like math, think of history. we have always historically shadowed Europe, and their gas is ~$9 a gallon. And it's increasing. they still drive cars. they have become smart though, and bought small little cars that get 40000 mpg. It's a ***** to fill up, but it's a semi-annual event there. If we can just be more fuel efficient, we will be quite ok.

So maybe you go out to dinner a little less, walk a little more, plant a garden, or are a little more gas-wise. Those aren't bad things. Actually, they are quite good. So, in all honesty, this is a total over reaction. People and the media totally over play the gas issue. You do not need to hoard food. This isn't the Nuclear Winter. Not the Apocalypse. Sure, I’d rather be paying $2.00 a gallon, but that’s not gonna happen. We're fine, a little disgruntled, but fine. And if things are bothering you so much, ride a bike.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    obregon, that is NOW. That is completely missing what people are complaining about, in 2000 we only paid $1 or so a gallon, now it is 4x more. So if it continues like this it would look something like this.
    2010=$5
    2012=$6
    2014=$7
    2016=$8
    2018=$9
    2020=$10
    Now I am pretty sure most of us will be alive in 2020. So with your averages it would cost $350 a DAY, thats way more then the cost of a month now. Obregin, look to the futures problems too, not just the current ones and see if we can stop them before they happen cause some may still affect you. Also it is hard to pay $78 dollars more a month on gas. My family is having trouble like MOST. I think the goverment should sponsor nuclear, wind, and maybe solar power development allot more. There is no easy way to fix fossil fuel car problems until the eletrical energy is converted.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast