Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sphagnum as “The Canary in the Coal Mine”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I think you owe some money, Upper.... You already own some nice moss, you just need to pay for it.
    oh yeah...... do you accept paypal for shipping? or do i mail it to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Sorry, I can't help you, it won't work with the Kroeger brand (heh, heh) . . .

Again, saturate the living hell out of it -- think bog -- and keep it in moderate Tbs (70s) and indirect light -- no cooking. The live spot will certainly grow as well as the spores in the dried material. Give it a few weeks, always keeping it wet . . .

I just began another batch in a Ziplock® gallon-size bag (did I mention it's a fine Johnson and Johnson product?) to replant some Heliamphora this coming September . . .
    tbs?
    Happy Holiday

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always advocated using live Sphagnum as much as possible and to grow your own. I've pontificated on the point several times in the past.

All my Sarracenia pots except the S. rosea have top dressings of live Sphagnum. As an experiment I topped the S. rosea with sand - no fungus gnats or moss growth as expected.

If you have established colonies of Sphagnum why bother going the long route and germinating more spores? Simply give the colonies a "haircut" and snip off the top 1/4-1/2" of live growth and toss it into a small tub or empty pot and keep it wet with adequate lighting. Repeat as often as you want the old stuff to grow out.

In a shorter time than messing around with dried stuff you'll have more Sphagnum than you know what to do with.

See av8tor1's page on Growing Sphagnum

And this University of Vienna page for more than you want to know on Sphagnum
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's much faster doing that. I've yet to see anyone get anything impressive by trying to grow from spores. It's a very fast growing moss when it's happy.

I just wish the moss didn't look like crap for so long after you trim it Do you know if removing the moss layer, cutting it in half, putting the tips back in the pot and laying the stems out works almost as well as if you had laid the tips out? I never tried that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I've always advocated using live Sphagnum as much as possible and to grow your own. I've pontificated on the point several times in the past.

If you have established colonies of Sphagnum why bother going the long route and germinating more spores? Simply give the colonies a "haircut" and snip off the top 1/4-1/2" of live growth and toss it into a small tub or empty pot and keep it wet with adequate lighting. Repeat as often as you want the old stuff to grow out.

In a shorter time than messing around with dried stuff you'll have more Sphagnum than you know what to do with.
    I find that it is more a matter of having enough live sphagnum on hand for a given task that has me both cannibalizing from other pots, expanding my supply of live material on a regular basis, and often starting another batch from dried moss (what is a paltry six weeks of no effort when dealing with plants which, in some cases, can take ten years to fully mature?). I use the live sphagnum not only as a top-dressing but as a primary ingredient of most compost mixes and in fairly large pots.

In the end, I have the luxury of using both methods, but the point of the initial thread was aimed at someone who was just beginning and who potentially had only the dried moss at hand . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 07-12-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I can't help you, it won't work with the Kroeger brand (heh, heh) . . .

Again, saturate the living hell out of it -- think bog -- and keep it in moderate Tbs (70s) and indirect light -- no cooking. The live spot will certainly grow as well as the spores in the dried material. Give it a few weeks, always keeping it wet . . .

I just began another batch in a Ziplock® gallon-size bag (did I mention it's a fine SC Johnson product?) to replant some Heliamphora this coming September . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by upper View Post
    tbs?
    I agree with upper. What is/are "Tbs"?
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    I agree with upper. What is/are "Tbs"?
    Sorry . . .

"Tb" is an abbreviation for temperature . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry . . .

"Tb" is an abbreviation for temperature . . .
    I can't find this anywhere online. Source? I'm curious. I found Tb meaning body temp, but that makes sense, with T For temp and b as a subscript for body. Lots of tuberculosis results, too.
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast