What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

check this out!

• Thread starter upper
  • Start date
I only made it to ~1:40. So the problem is how can we elect someone who has not one, not two, but three muslim names????

You know, I'd vote for Obama if he wore a turban, prayed five times a day, and had a great big beard. As long as he had the same ideology in that case as he does now, I'd be just as pleased. I'd vote for a satanist if they shared the same ideology. I'd vote for a Buddhist if they had the same ideology. I'd vote for a Wiccan. I'd vote for an atheist. I'd vote for a Hindu. I'd vote for a Shinto. I'd vote for a voodoo priest. I'd vote for them all if they had the an ideology that I agree with more than those of the other Democratic candidates. Do you know why? It's because I'm not a bigot, and religion is irrelevant in politics, and almost always in the real world. Period. He's not a Muslim. He's said God knows how many times that he's a Christian. EVEN IF HE WAS a Muslim, that is IRRELEVANT. The fact that his father may have been a Muslim is irrelevant. A lot of people have different religious beliefs from their parents. I do to some extent. So what if he went to a school AS A CHILD that just happened to be filled with Muslims? Do you know how many Muslims live there? A TON! Just like a ton of Christians live here. I'm going to a school that just happens to be filled with Christians. It's not a Christian school. This is only an issue because people are so bigoted and afraid. They hear 'Obama" and think "Osama" as was pointed out (and by the way, the Freudian slip in that video was totally planned. That wasn't real. He's a bigot. Who was that? I wasn't watching, just listening while Kathy Griffin was on.) and think of terrorism and 9/11. When people do this, the terrorists win.

They're talking about "Black Liberation Theology"... Okay. I don't see what this has to do with Obama. Honestly. I've never seen anyone more mild mannered than Obama. Jesus Christ, if I was a politician I'd be the Democratic equivalent of Bill O'Reilly. Oh... wait a second... did we forget that Obama is half white? Damn. That blows that whole idea that he supports "Black Liberation Theology" out of the water. This is racist. It's revolting. It makes me ashamed that there are people who still think this way. Black or white. You know, I've met a lot of black people in my life. A whole lot. Georgia has a large black population. Not once have I ever, ever, EVER met an AA with this mentality. I only wish I could say the same of white people. It just makes me ashamed and sick that we're even having this discussion.

Lift a ban on meeting with foreign leaders? Dear Jesus. We had better not let him talk to them. If we talk, then what the hell would we do with all of these bombs we made with borrowed money? We really need to stick to out shoot first and ask question never policy.

What is YOUR opinion, Upper? What is your opinion on this bigoted video?

If you think the fact that he is or was Muslim IRRELEVANT? Your kidding right? I would be afraid he would give a free pass to his "brothers" who happen to be terrorists. When you associate yourself with a certain type of people you tend to pick up a lot of those habits beliefs and what not. I'm sorry this video was very enlightening. Just because of what he stands for he is not getting my vote. His background says it all. Also if you cannot respect the American flag and th national anthem you do not deserve to be president either.

That video was fantastic.

thanks everyone, i'd like to hear everybody's comment on this.

i'm not gonna take side with anyone. i'm the middle guy here.

If you think the fact that he is or was Muslim IRRELEVANT? Your kidding right? I would be afraid he would give a free pass to his "brothers" who happen to be terrorists. When you associate yourself with a certain type of people you tend to pick up a lot of those habits beliefs and what not. I'm sorry this video was very enlightening. Just because of what he stands for he is not getting my vote. His background says it all. Also if you cannot respect the American flag and th national anthem you do not deserve to be president either.

That video was fantastic.

"Brothers"? If that's not a prime example of prejudice and bigotry I don't know what is.

Obama is not Muslim. Witness the flap over his pastor Reverend Wright.

The same arguments where made when JFK, a Catholic ran for president it what was perceived at the time as a predominately Protestant nation.

You're right, Josh. I'm sorry. You're absolutely right. Aren't you a Christian now? I'd be afraid you'd beat me up, protest people's funerals, take away women's rights, and have connections to the KKK. These are terrible things that some Christians do, and since you share their religion, it makes you immediate suspect and a likely candidate to do these things.

What you said is no different than the above. I can comprehend how you'd view the flag/pin issue, but not the above. Personally I think the pledge is A: a violation of church and state, but more importantly needless ritualism. And I just don't like pins. Of any kind :p

Actually..... I didn't read any racism into that. If he meant "Brothers" in the way that black people use the term, then it was racist. If he meant it in the way a lot of terrorists use it ("Brotherhood" is a common theme with them), then it wasn't racist and the quotes were warranted because the validity of that fraternity is dubious. I read it as him meaning the latter. If it was the former, then that's totally racist and I'm VERY surprised he'd say that. The fact that he said the 'Brothers" just happened to be terrorists supports the latter rather than the former, because even though he's being very stereotypical, the terrorism stereotype is given to Muslims, not Black people. So... him using it in a Racist manner wouldn't make stereotypical sense.

And I didn't think you were voting for Obama anyway...... I think I was the one that found the McCain button for your signature months ago hehe.

You know. I don't see how anyone could POSSIBLY think he's even a tiny bit Muslim after he clearly stated he was not Muslim, but instead Christian. A muslim wouldn't say this, ESPECIALLY a RADICAL Muslim.

When I said "Brothers" I was referring to Brotherhood in the sense that people with the same beliefs as him. That right there is why Having Barock as president will not work. Because everyone has to find a racial connotation in everything.

Look at his mentor's actions. Rev Writght is a country hating SOB. I love my country and do not like those that shame it. Obama has been brought up with Muslim upbringings. Went to a Muslim school for 2 years. During a very impressionable time in his life. I bet none of you can even tell me what kind of "change" Barak plans to bring.

I bet none of you even realize the country started really going into the pooper as soon as we got a democratic congress. Most of you don't even realize the presedent doesn;t have the power in DC, Congress does.

I have faith in my country and we will not elect someone who is this wrong for the country as Obama is. I don't want someone who doesn't love the country he wants to represent in office.

BTW I get really really really angry when someone tries to label me a racist. I have many black friends and will not dislike you because of your color, but i will dislike you because of your actions, personality, ect.

Clint just to address your accusation of my religious views. First of all I have yet to attend Church. I believe in a God, but ATM am not affiliated with any formal religion. When I get up north and if I do attend church it will be Lutheran. I would not attend a church where the person preaching it had such radical views.

Also I would not be associating Obama with the radical movement of the black church had his "mentor" (those are his words too) was not the one preaching. Then tries to point to the Black Theology movement. Going by that video tells me a whole lot about it. I don't want the exact opposite to be in office. Racist be it vs white or black is not good.

So, we can only have white people as presidents, because everyone has to find a racial connotation? WTF? And you don't think the country started going down the drain in '00? How can you not? Our congress doesn't do anything, but at least it's not doing as much harm anymore. The president does not need to be all powerful.

You misunderstood my "accusations". It was clearly sarcasm meant to point out that it's wrong to vote or not to vote for someone because of their religion. Religion is irrelevant. You don't fit the negative stereotypes of your religion, so why would he? Rev. Wright.... I don't see how Rev. Wright could have possibly "snapped" and this was the first time he's ever said something like this, but it just could be. I don't understand the concept of "Black Churches". Or "Black colleges" for that matter in general. Like Morehouse college. It had it's first white valedictorian earlier. It was all over CNN. Why was THAT on CNN? Don't we have something, I dunno, important to talk about? Is it me?

While we're talking, someone want to explain to me why Che Guevara is on so many T shirts? People wear him as a fashion statement. I mean... didn't seem so fabulous.

Because everyone has to find a racial connotation in everything.

Is that Senator Obama's fault?? Too bad he can't remove the color in his skin so that he'll be white and then no one will make racial comments. Because racial comments are only made about non-whites. Ah reckon the Presidency should remain an all-white (and all male while we're at it) bastion lest we upset "everyone."

I'm so sick of the Rev. Wright crap. So what. The man was his pastor. I don't give an R A who Obama's pastor is or was. All of that was nothing more than a desperate Republican effort to do whatever they could to besmirch Obama's name. None of that stuff matters...same for McCain. What matters is their platform...their plans for this country and how they plan to implement them. All the other stuff is the dog and pony show to give the news media something to talk about ad nauseum.

Rev. Wright and that other guy are both drama queens looking for their 15 min. of fame on TV...and getting it unfortunately. You could SEE how Rev. Wright was eating up the attention. I thought they both just looked like overacting fools.

I don't for a minute think Obama doesn't love his country. Where does this stuff come from?? Oh yeah. Republicans. lol So he forgot to wear a flag pin once. OHMIGOD. That means he doesn't love his country!! I don't wear a flag pin... I must not love my country.

So tired of the endless silly deflections from what is really important. Who will do what for the country...and who will actually DO what they say.

Last edited by a moderator:
He isn't Muslim. He isn't even Black. He certainly can't relate to the plight of urban poor, Black or otherwise. He's just another wealthy and privileged American..... not unlike Hillary Clinton. He wan't my first choice among the Democrats but between he and McCain, I am leaning toward Obama.

Man was this video slanted!

And what's with Jesse Jackson?!

When you Hang around criminals your associated as a criminal. When you hang around druggies your also associated with druggies. When you hang around people who bash this country your also associated with those types of people. That was not Rev Wrights first time nor will it be the last.

He did not forget to wear his pin once he refuses to wear it. He has no plan for this country and the ONLY thing he has going for him is his charismatic speaking. He has nothing else.

Obama may be mixed but many of the blacks still consider him black, and with some of his promises they believe they will get the upper hand.

Also Had McCain said some of the things Obama has said, but replaced black with white then he would be deemed a racist. So why is it not brought on Obama? I see a lot of reverse racism coming from the black community at times and that is fueling some things. Jesse Jackson and the other guy (forget his name not) are good about that.

I agree there should not be anything about race involved. I am not voting for him because of his race. I am not voting for him because I don't like what he stands for and because he doesn;t like this country and cannot take pride in it. PERIOD!! Take for it what you will, but I know what I am thinking. If many of you remember I liked him in the beginning. Shall I find the thread I started on it?

Also Clint. The country was going down yes, but it really tanked after the democratically controlled Congress took over. Pilosi is a joke too. There is many things wrong with our government, but it is still a pretty good one comparatively speaking. Too many ways for the greedy to be in it for themselves.

So, we can only have white people as presidents, because everyone has to find a racial connotation? WTF?

That is not what I was meaning Clint. What I am saying is that any criticism of him, if did managed to get in office, would be deemed because of his race. So you would not be able to criticize him for that reason. It would always be because he is black as to why he is being criticized. Nothing would get done. Everyone would be accused of being a racist or they would be afraid to say something to him.

PAK The thing is no matter what the Candidates say. Neither one of them can DO anything without Congress oking it. So the people with power is Congress. Period. The President cannot do anything if Congress doesn't want it done. I'm not saying the President should be all powerful, The point I am trying to make is that they cannot deliver what they claim most of the time and they are empty promises many of the time.

Please don't say "mixed"....

If he identifies himself as black, then he's black. Most biracial people ID with one or another race and refer to themselves as such, and besides.... have you ever seen him? He looks black to me! If one of my parents was black and one was white, I'd call myself black, too. Why are we even talking about this? What he calls himself is irrelevant. What do you mean 'They believe they will get the upper hand"? What does that mean?

McCain can't say somethings without being labeled a racist because he's white. It's the way things are, and it's not reverse racism. I guess it comes from hundreds of years of slavery and oppression... just maybe. And if you're ONLY not voting because of what he stands for, and because you don't think he likes the country, why did you bring up religion in the first place? I think you are talking about Al sharpton, BTW. I love him. I don't care for Jesse Jackson, though.

You're forgetting the congress also can't do anything unless the president signs the bill :p Checks and balances. Congress would do more if the Republicans weren't holding back progress. I love Nancy Pelosi. I'd vote for her with Sharpton as her VP, or visca versa! I don't think I could be happier. Throw Kucinich in the deal as part of the cabinet, and think I'd piss myself with glee.

Anyone who thinks Obama is Muslim at this point, or hates our country just isn't very smart and is looking for any rationalization to oppose him.

Bottom line is our economy is in the tank, the world hates us, we're fighting enormously costly and losing wars, the rich are absconding with all the wealth. The executive branch is openly and arrogantly defying the law on multiple fronts. People are losing their houses, gas costs have skyrocketed which really hurts everyone, and we just simply need a change. These policies have failed. Grampy McSame is not going to change anything.

Capslock

"Obama may be mixed but many of the blacks still consider him black, and with some of his promises they believe they will get the upper hand." <--- Ouch. thats terrible.

Black or white we're all americans. Thats the point. its not about one group of people getting the upper hand its about american's getting the "upper hand", US citizens as a whole need alot of help. if thats the african american demographic then so be it. if its the white demographic then so be it. Their all americans and all have equal rights. We cannot be scared of one group of americans getting more power than another becuase THERE ARENT SEPERATE GROUPS!.

"It would always be because he is black as to why he is being criticized. Nothing would get done. Everyone would be accused of being a racist or they would be afraid to say something to him. " <---- Again, thats not HIS fault that sounds like some people have some racial insecurities they are unable to deal with. That is something we as a country really need to get over in order to progress.

"Please don't say "mixed".... " <--- thats really unimportant, if he as a person chooses to be considered as one or the other than we should respect that, but I have friends who choose to consider themselves mixed and do so proudly, we shouldn't assume they dont want to be referred to that way we should just be polite and ask if its a concern.

"I guess it comes from hundreds of years of slavery and oppression" <--- we will never progress if we cannot admit our mistakes and then move forward. This really needs to become a historical reference and not something that guides our election process. we need to use it in our education material to prevent a repeat and acknowledge its importance in our history and civil rights. but again it cannot guide our current processes it creates more problems than it solves.

as far as the flag and pin thing and being unpatriotic, it has nothing to do with that. respecting ones country doesn't mean just following it blindly, I will do anything to help this country and sometimes that doesn't mean following the person in charge. I have participated in protests and I have been in positions where people have labeled me as being unpatriotic, I've got family in Iraq and have been there for 5 years I support the troops and just not some decisions our lovely president and congress choose to make, its my right as an american citizen allows me to protest if I deem something to be wrong, if that means sitting down through the pledge of allegiance or not wearing a stupid flag pin then I can and will, and that shouldnt make a difference whether I'm elected president or not. If he truly did become a terrible awful president we could just impeach him, its like if someone were really running the country into an awful position that we didnt build checks n balances to account for that.

I'm going to vote for obama becuase whether or not he's a charismatic speaker he seems great with foreign relations and seems to understand what the country needs. I'm not going to let any of this other stuff clog my judgement. He seems to be the best candidate for putting this country into a better place than it is now.

besides mccain is so old he'd die before he could do anything useful. :)

I kind of picked on both sides in this post and I really didnt want to post at all, nothing personal guys I still like all of you and I hope it doesnt change anything :blush:

Yeah, that's nice and all, but it's not PC to say that. You don't know what Obama thinks, so be default you do not say "mixed". Even if he doesn't mind, it's still not polite. It's rude. Why don't you call someone "mixed" who prefers to be called "interracial/biracial". I don't think they'd appreciate it. I know if you ever called me "mixed" I'd be pissed. 1/16th, but still. I consider myself biracial. I identify as Caucasian, though.

But, agree to disagree. Hope you never say it to the wrong person.

with some of his promises they believe they will get the upper hand.

What?? Upper hand? What does that mean? If we have a black President, the black race will be able to "take over the world"? ???

okay I wasn't debating over calling someone "mixed" over "biracial" I just meant you shouldnt assume that whatever person would rather go by a single race description. some people enjoy their mixed heritage and dont want to be identified as a single one way or the other. mixed is I guess just an insensitive way of saying it and I agree on that. thats just a matter of whether someone is socially aware enough to realize its just kind of... a crude way of putting it,

I guess I was just speaking on a different note and not the actual clarification of how to phrase it.

Oh, then I'm glad we agree on that. I know some people ID with both, but most tend to ID with one over the other.

Not that it matters.

yup that was just a misundertsanding of what the issue was :)

Back