User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can sphagnum have too much water?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup! I agree. Sphagnum seems to grow best when grown under high humidity......moist, good air conditions. Hey! thats a reason why the best sphagnum grows in highland nepenthes pots. perfect conditions IMO. the most important thing is humidity. DOn't water log it. Take a shallow tray like Clint's. put the moss on it...and spray it with water frequently and put it in a humid place where it gets good bright light. The moss should then take off and later it becomes hard to get rid of. I have gotten to the point of throwing away moss as it over fills a nepenthes pot and almost drowns the plant.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saturate it until it's established because until it is established it suffers when just barely moist. Once established it handles the lack of moisture well enough.

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always read that you can jump start live sphagnum from the dried stuff. Is it hard to do, or relatively easy? Time consuming?
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easy. It can take several weeks to months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the most recent bag I bought of the high quality (light gold color) LFS has returned to life. I don't know if it had been sterilized or spent too long in a hot truck or had been on the store's shelf for too many years. Previous bags of the same stuff were very lively.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine jest grows out of pots that i have top dressed with NZ LFSM.
    I don't have time to baby it. it jest appears after awhile. and is usually on top of the pot whether it be peat / perlite or peat / pumice. , not so lucky with peat and sand myself. then it starts oozing down the sides of the pot if there is a enough room in the tray. Mine likes shade almost dense shade
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that it is good to have a layer of peat moss as the base and lay the live sphagnum on top.

My question is that I have some old peat that is unfortunately miracle grow with added fertilizers. Will this be bad for the moss? Should I go and get some better peat?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feedme View Post
    I read somewhere that it is good to have a layer of peat moss as the base and lay the live sphagnum on top.

My question is that I have some old peat that is unfortunately miracle grow with added fertilizers. Will this be bad for the moss? Should I go and get some better peat?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I would avoid any soil component with fertilizers like the plague, especially when dealing with live sphagnum. Go for some nice Canadian sphagnum peat (not simply "peat" -- there are differences) . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast