User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: can sphagnum have too much water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like it is another trip off to the store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Herenorthere, just a thought on your current attempts with the dried stuff. Are you sure your current water supply is as mineral free as before? Excess sodium from a forgotten (unchanged) R/O membrane has knocked out my beautiful LFS before affecting the plants growing in the LFS. Making me wonder what was going wrong until I remembered about replacing the R/O.

Anyone who cares:
    My faveorite way to farm LFS is to shred it by grinding two handfuls of dry stuff togetehr so ll you have is "sawdust" like powder with some larger strandy chunks mixed in. fill a Jiffy seedling tray about 1-2" deep with it. Then I use my pump action garden sprayer with the hose-wand to get it good and wet but not waterlogged, as someone said saturated but with air in the spaces between the chunks not water just like it'd be if it was on top of a highland Nep pot: wet when squeezed but not actually floating in water. Mist it every day or two to keep up the level of moisture up you can use the humidity dome that comes with the jiffy trays but I believe the fresh air and daily misting is better for it than being trapped inside there where fungus can just go nuts in a closed wet place. Within a month or two you should be seeing signs of live sphagnum, ferns, liverworts and other hich hiking botanical goodies. I advise you to pull up any grass stuff that might grow ASAP though otherwise it never goes away and it eventually get's tall-I had some LFS grass that was at least 2 feet high growing in my big N. rajah pot at one time.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW clint...you are not weird for liking the smell of the moss. I love the smell of peat moss and sphagnum. lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    BTW clint...you are not weird for liking the smell of the moss. I love the smell of peat moss and sphagnum. lol!
    i thought it was bad to breath that in
    you'll get this
    step 1

step 2: advance infection
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upper View Post
    i'm trying to grow some live sphagnum and more after i get it from clint in a while, wanna know if there's such thing as... overwatering.... the sphagnum...
    I have always grown my sphagnum as a semi-aquatic for a couple of reasons. First of all, the method has consistently worked for me -- whether it was an effort to encourage dormant spores in dried sphagnum or to maintain tubs of the lovely green or red stuff; second, I really don't have the time to futz around with pots of moss, misting and tweaking them here and there, and they've taken to being partially submerged very well. Most wild sphagnum I've seen was in that state . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3rd, my sphagnum pot is finally showing green.
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upper View Post
    3rd, my sphagnum pot is finally showing green.

Good deal! Soon enough, you'll be complaining on the forum that you can't get rid of the stuff . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep it like a plant with the plant permanently in water. Then the top 20% will go crazy and grow away until you have a big squidgy carpet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123