What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Respect...

DrWurm

Californian in DC
As I've lurked these forums ever quietly, I've seen a few instances where respect for the fellow grower has either become dampened or nonexistent. Most intriguing is when the person looking for assistance receives it, then vomits up the pride they swallowed and fights back against good information ??? . Just as you would not argue the formula for the Quotient Rule with your Calc teacher, you probably shouldn't argue plant care with an experienced grower.

As someone who is in the lower intermediate stage of experience in this hobby, I have experience in both asking for and giving help. When someone with more experience than myself gives the FAIL stamp to something I do, I am happy that they saved me the trouble of having to find out on my own that I'm an idiot :blush: . Above all, I am respectful when somebody calls my bad, and I appreciate it when those I help are respectful to me. I also try to respect the ones I help, as I'd never want to make somebody feel shameful or stupid for asking a question.

These forums seem so much nicer on days when all parties of the topics are respectful. We are all people here. Though I may only be a name on a computer screen to you, I am, in fact, a living, breathing human being with feelings and ideas of my own. (relevant xkcd: http://xkcd.com/438/ )

The moderation staff and veterans on this forum have all been top notch in my experiences with them. Although they have the experience required to be snobby A-holes, they are not, and I thank them for that. They don't deserve to be given a harder time than they already have.

The newer members showing up every now and then with their funny little humidity dome setups and "octopus plants" are the ones who will keep this place alive in the future. They should be welcomed with open arms and respect so that we might spread our infectious hobby.

In the end, I suppose I am asking for a little respect. Just a little bit.

****This post is in no way a reference to any one thread. Rather it is the culmination of something that's been on my mind for quite some time.****

Jason.

Right on jason,
My thoughts almost to a T.
Ye t so eloqently spoken by you.
LMO

Good that you can speak your mind. its good to get stuff out once in awhile, and i totally agree with you, i joined this forum with no experiance at all with CPs, and now im learning ALOT in a short period of time from the amazing people here. I love this site. You guys have helped me out so much and been so patient with me when im difficult. Thanks alot :D

Well said :). If it weren't for this site, who knows how many plants I could've killed? Lol. I, too, love this site, I go on almost every day for at least two hours (not all at once, but I am a computer addict :p).

If it weren't for this site, who knows how many plants I could've killed?

hell even reading this site do you know how many plants ive killed? thank god VFT's are in tissue culture or i could have single handedly wiped out the species :D

Rofl rattler, thats great. Thankfully i only lost the first Typical i got from safeway that was already dead basically, and the two crappily shipped Akai Ryu back when i started. so far, the rest have live.

hell even reading this site do you know how many plants ive killed? thank god VFT's are in tissue culture or i could have single handedly wiped out the species :D

Lol.

Back