What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kafka readers, a neato book I found!

Today I picked up Introducing Kafka
(http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-K...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216081826&sr=8-1)

it's a graphic novel type biography of the weird / nihilistic Czech writer Franz Kafka. It's richly illustrated by old time undergound comics artist R. Crumb but there's plenty to read. There are many interesting dark drawings throughout this 175 page book. If you like Kafka's writing or wanna know about him or the origins and history of the adjective "Kafkaesque" this book is great fun! Makes me wanna get down with The Metamorphosis all over again.

The publisher who did this book does a number of other subjects in the same illustrated style, not sure if R. Crumb has done them all or if other artists did them as well. I think Crumbs dead however so he probly won't be doing any more...

Cool to know he's still going. I got all my uncle's old hippy comics when he moved. A bunch of Crumb's various stuff, almost every Freak Brothers and Fat Freddy's Cat and a bunch of one-off Rip Off Press comics.
I was surprised to find this so many years later, I see my new book is "only" 15 years old. ;)

I really liked Metamorphosis. Except for having to read it in French...

Be glad you didn't have to read it in Czech.

The metamorphasis was great. I just read it in school a few months ago.

If you take a look at my picture thread, you'll see that I titled the photo of the beetle "Gregor Samsa."

Thanks for the reccomendation. I'll try to check it out.

This "comic bio" book is really cool, now that I've had a chance to get about 1/3 of the way through it at work tonight I see it's somewhat like a "Kafka reader" as well since it has quick graphic novel synapses of the major stories: Metamorphosis, The Trial, The Judgement, etc.
"Fun" (miserable) stuff! :)

Back