Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Altbier... yum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck in Kiel and it's always worth trying local products where ever you go, whatever the product is. When I was in Florida a couple weeks ago, I was disappointed at how hard it was to find local beers on tap or even in a bottle at restaurants the family wanted to go to. But they all had @#$%^& Corona. I fell prey to that Stella allure my freshman year (drinking age was 18 then, kiddies) but got over it. By the way, is anyone surprised that Stella, Budweiser and Corona will be cousins after all the recent mergers/acquisitions?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right before I quit brewing, I bought a lot of honey (I think it was 12 lbs)
    What did you do with all that honey?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, is anyone surprised that Stella, Budweiser and Corona will be cousins after all the recent mergers/acquisitions?
    I am very disappointed my freshman beer of choice (Beck's) is involved in that merger. Back when I lived in Bremen, it was still locally owned, and only cost a Euro if you went to the right bars. Normally I am not very big on hops, but I love Beck's for some reason.

If you go North, Becks is everywhere and good. If you can find it, grab a Kräusen. It looks like cloudy pee but is one of the awesomest beers I've ever had. Stay away from Jever and Öttinger. Öttinger was the party beer we'd pick up for like 14 Euro for a case of 30 half liter bottles. We still wouldn't touch Jever though.

I can't remember where it's from, but Oberdorfer is another good brand.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used some of that honey and I rediscovered 1+ qts of it when cleaning the basement last year. It had turned a deep mahogany brown and, not feeling very brave, I composted it (thinned with a couple gallons of water).

A lot of what used to be good local beers were absorbed into big companies. Many of what we think of as being old European brewers are conglomerates that are busy monopolizing local markets while exporting like mad.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can truly say that I never fell for the Stella allure, I don't see what people see in it, I think it is pretty boring. Maybe that's what people like about it, there's nothing special about it. My dad has a co-worker who's favorite beer, no lie, is Keystone Light. Apparently he just can't wait to go home and crack open a stone everynight, and he is certainly not hurting for money. Oh well...
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    When/if I start brewing again (it needs to cool down first), I'd like to make a mead, because I never have, and it's very oldschool.
    I've been brewing quite a bit recently; I have 10 gallons fermenting right now and about 13 gallons bottled. I also have a mead working which was brewed on Leap Day (Feb 29) and won't be drank until the next Feb 20 (2012). My next mead is going to be a Capsicumel (Chile Mead) as soon as I can get some more honey. wooo
    Small Growlist: Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to hijack the thread even further, but what's the temperature where your beer is fermenting nealfor? My basement is in the mid 70s this time of year and and the mid-summer beers I brewed generally weren't as good as what I got the rest of the year, when the temperature varied from the 60s down to the upper 40s in midwinter.

As for the Stella, I could get a case for $12 or a 12 pack of Busch for $5 (Atlanta prices ca 1980). So it wasn't that much more expensive than domestic urine. Or we could go out to the closest bar for $2.50 pitchers, so most of my beer intake came from a glass. Or from a paper cup, since the Atlanta Braves sold big beers (20 oz?) for $2.00. Those were the days. Anyway, I really convinced myself that Stella was something special and, when I tried one a couple years later, I thought someone was playing a joke on me. I tried one again a few years ago and that'll be the final chapter of my Stella experience.

It's great that DavyJones is over there trying the good stuff and I'm jealous of him and of PK, who's been there too.
    Bruce in CT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Not to hijack the thread even further, but what's the temperature where your beer is fermenting nealfor? My basement is in the mid 70s this time of year and and the mid-summer beers I brewed generally weren't as good as what I got the rest of the year, when the temperature varied from the 60s down to the upper 40s in midwinter.
    Mid 60s is generally the best temperature for most beer yeasts; if you get into the mid or high 70s you can easily begin to get some off flavors which is probably what you were experiencing. I'm actually having problems keeping mine under 70 during these summer months so I am going to hack up an old fridge and create a fermentation chamber to keep my fermenters cool.
    Small Growlist: Grow List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast