Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Altbier... yum!

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altbier... yum!

I got a chance to attend a fair in Dusseldorf on Friday, and enjoyed some (and by some I mean A LOT) of yummy Altbier. And... look what else I snagged Now I just have to find someone who sells Alt in the states, so that I can enjoy it when I get home.

"We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great and I hate to admit it, but that was a more appealing day than most of the field trips people describe here.

Some American microbrewers sell alts, at least seasonally. The only German one I see regularly is organic and with a red label. I can't remember the name. It's good, but a former co-worker who knows such things says the best ones are only bottled from a tap, like growlers here, and can't be shipped. One of the homebrew yeast companies sells an alt yeast and I found a recipe and it was one of the best I ever made. If I start brewing again, that'll be one of the first I do.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys need Beeradvocate accounts: http://beeradvocate.com/articles/260
    Alt is good, but I'm a huge Maibock fan myself.

When/if I start brewing again (it needs to cool down first), I'd like to make a mead, because I never have, and it's very oldschool.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinkus Organic Münster Alt, listed at the bottom of the page PK linked, is the one I was thinking of. Google searches for obscure beers always lead to beeradvocate, but I've never set up an account.

Right before I quit brewing, I bought a lot of honey (I think it was 12 lbs) to make mead, but I never got around to making it. After I went back to school, homebrewing seemed like too much of a chore on top of everything else I either wanted or had to do. People of ordinary ambition levels should find one or two other people also interested in brewing because it'll be a lot easier to keep it going.

Back to DavyJones, since you're so close, you should take a side trip to Belgium, where beer reaches its pinnacle. Maybe it isn't as worthwhile as chasing down alts in Dusseldorf, since lots of Belgian beers are imported here (Stella soesn't count), but there must be some that never make it out of Belgium.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only beer I have EVER tasted that I couldn't even finish was a rauch(sp?) beer, which tasted like a smoked sausage, it was even a bit on the salty side YEEECH

I have a german buddy who brings beer when he visits- there's a LOT of beer in germany that you have to go to specific towns just to buy. He always brings a white beer outta Mannheim called EischBaum, it's freakin excellent

Like the Bocks too, mmmm
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Stella soesn't count)
    I always have to lol when I hear anyone talking about this beer. Everyone in America (well college-age at least) seems to think its really classy and awesome. Perhaps they're fooled by the astronomically ludicrous price tag. Stella is like the Bud Select of Europe. There's a reason it's referred to as "wife-beater".
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha same with Corona- that swill is inSANELY expensive and it is swill. a 5 cent lemon wedge does NOT make a crummy beer worth 7+ dollars a bottle
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Back to DavyJones, since you're so close, you should take a side trip to Belgium, where beer reaches its pinnacle. Maybe it isn't as worthwhile as chasing down alts in Dusseldorf, since lots of Belgian beers are imported here (Stella soesn't count), but there must be some that never make it out of Belgium.
    I would love to go travel around to other parts of Europe, but last week I spent all my traveling money on a train ticket to Kiel next weekend. I'm very excited, I have yet to see any of northern Germany. I should do some beer research before I head up there, to see what is good.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast