User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is a more effective pollinator?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Critters hands down no question.

There was a program on PBS probably Nova I was watching a few weeks ago on CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder) - the great honey bee die-offs. There's an area in China where all the honey bees have died and re-introduction has been unsuccessful. The area is famous for a fruit they grow there so the farmers turned to hand pollination. It takes many hours even days to pollinate a few trees which bees used to accomplish in minutes and hours.

The farmers have to wait for the pollen to ripen, collect the pollen, make whisks or brushes that they attach to long poles to apply the pollen. Very labor intensive for little or no pay - family affairs mostly. So far they are able to be productive but the feeling that it is a losing battle.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honeybees are only needed where chemical-drenched monoculture decimates the population of native pollinators. A place with one thing or another blooming throughout the season will have plenty of pollinators, assuming they aren't taken out by Guthion or some other spray. Commercial honeybees are more susceptible to diseases and parasites because they live in close quarters, are driven all over the place and get a lot of sub-acute exposure to pesticides.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_muscipula View Post
    I tried to pollinate my first sarracenia flower, which happened to be a oreophila. I used the faq on this forum on pollinating a sarra flower. But until I saw another diagram (about a week ago long after the bloom) I could not find the stigma. I recall rubbing pollen on one or two of the stigma not knowing if that was it or not. I just kinda smeared pollen all over the flower. I sure hope I get some seed though I was planning on doing a small giveaway.
    giveaway oreophila= bad.
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giveaway = OK. Sell = illegal.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12