User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What got you into carnivorous plants?

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stumbled across large retail nursery in northern calif one day and thot what weird plants the next time I went back they had more appeal to me. then I was hooked. This was 9 or 10 years ago.
    it was shortly after peter's book The Savage Garden came out because I have one of the first printings.
    OOPs am I allowed to say the name of that book on this forum
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always had a love of living things. When I was a kid back in the early 80's, my grandmother gave me a couple of VFTs (this is the same grandmother from the deaf side of the family where I picked up sign language and my career as an interpreter). It was a downward spiral from there.

Our house now has a dog, two cats, a parrot, a koi pond, an aquarium, and 10 honeybee hives not to mention the ton of carnivorous and non-carnivorous plants. We really need to buy some acreage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first introduction to CP was in the school library where I found a book about how to care for them. I ordered a flytrap bulb from out of the back of a comic book and promptly killed it. Back then any and all growing instructions were just horrible. Even the instructions in the library book were wrong. Something that I wouldn't discover until some years later thanks to an online nursery and their ebook. After that first failed attempt it was off to another nursery that offered mail-order service, a 'Crystal-lite Greenhouse' and various CP kits to plant it with, and growing instructions that still stank I figured that these plants were just finicky and hard to grow yet I pressed on. Several tries later (I am persistant if nothing else) I have several mini-bogs out on the back patio and two terrariums with neps and cephs. Sometimes I wake up in a cold sweat at night thinking about all the Cp that I killed because no one back in those days were providing the proper growing instructions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    carnivorous plants got me into them. I got a bunch on Christmas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always liked plants and odd things in general. One day my local garden center got in a shipment of S. x Catesbaei in by mistake and I swiped them all up. Did some research and here I am!

-J.P.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a few venus fly traps, but they died. Three, to be exact. One was at home, and I was growing it really well, I thought, but it probably didn't have enough light and it tried to flower and slowly wasted away. The second was at school, it was a class pet I contributed, but we gave it no light and when it looked sick we unknowingly killed it by repotting it into bark mulch and potting soil. Ooops!!
    The third I was doing everything right, except I covered it completely in hot weather and it steamed.
    I didn't think much of it though.

Then I saw an article in this plant book I was reading about carnivorous plants a few years later, and they had a cartoon illustration of a sundew, and a bit of info on how it works. I liked the picture, so I showed my father. He said he'd seen a few before, and I was amazed! I thought they only lived in weird places on the other side of the world etc. etc. But, once again, I thought it would be impossible to find any where I was! How wrong I was! But, of course I didn't know New Zealand had its own species of sundews back then!

A few years after that when my nana asked what I wanted for my birthday, I remembered the sundews in the book, and asked her for what I thought was the impossible. I told her I wanted a sundew. She found me two, a capensis and filiformis. I was overjoyed!!! I loved them, they were the best birthday present I'd ever gotten, so far.

After that I bought another vft, and this one, despite nearly dying, managed to recover when I gave it to my nana to look after. After that I accidentally killed my filiformis sundew by over-watering while it was dormant. Then I was away. A few weeks later I bought my first sarr, which struggled along on my windowsill for nearly a year, with no red at all, until I finally put it outside and forgot to bring it in. It did better outside so I left it out there.

That was it, for nearly 8 months. I wasn't actually aware other carnivorous plants existed, well, I was aware but I didn't even think of going out and finding them. Then, at christmas, nearly a whole year later, I saw a Nepenthes in a supermarket and convinced my mum to buy it for me. After that I researched a little more, and realised there were sooo many more!!! I searched out a D. Arcturi, then a cephalotus and utric my mum bought me for my birthday. It was the end of my first year growing cp's. Since then I've had an influx of plants but I'll never forget those first few ones!!!
    Drosera Arcturi-The Alpine Sundew...

I'm an AMP People's Choice Applicant this year, please vote for me here:
    http://ampvoting.orcas.co.nz/Applicants/Details/10699

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well moo, i have an experiance exactly like yours lol. here is my story on how i got into CPs

I got into CPs at a young age when i first saw them in a school magazine, i did not start growing them till december of 2007 when i was getting picked up from a friends house one night, my mother said she had a surprise in the car, and sure enough, inside a bag from Safeway, was a large VFT, i put it on my windowsill, and read about them as much as possible, i began working part time at a local petstore called the Wild Side, which also carried some plants, mostly carnivorous plants, sure enough, i picked up a S. Dana's Delight, 3 Dionaea Dentate traps, and 2 D. Capensis, thats where it all started to begin. after a month or so of reading about as many CPs as i possibly could, i ordered my first Nepenthes from our beloved Andy(owner of this forum and Flytrapshop.com), The plant arrived, and did amazingly well. Shortly after, i received my first 2 pinguicula from a member of this forum(huy716), 2 P. Sethos, since then my list has grown incredibly well considering im a 17 year old who now works part time at Hot Topic lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A thread about venus flytraps on AR15.com back in December of 2007 or so.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123