What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What got you into carnivorous plants?

Always liked plants and odd things in general. One day my local garden center got in a shipment of S. x Catesbaei in by mistake and I swiped them all up. Did some research and here I am!

-J.P.

I used to have a few venus fly traps, but they died. Three, to be exact. One was at home, and I was growing it really well, I thought, but it probably didn't have enough light and it tried to flower and slowly wasted away. The second was at school, it was a class pet I contributed, but we gave it no light and when it looked sick we unknowingly killed it by repotting it into bark mulch and potting soil. :( Ooops!!
The third I was doing everything right, except I covered it completely in hot weather and it steamed.
I didn't think much of it though.

Then I saw an article in this plant book I was reading about carnivorous plants a few years later, and they had a cartoon illustration of a sundew, and a bit of info on how it works. I liked the picture, so I showed my father. He said he'd seen a few before, and I was amazed! I thought they only lived in weird places on the other side of the world etc. etc. But, once again, I thought it would be impossible to find any where I was! How wrong I was! But, of course I didn't know New Zealand had its own species of sundews back then!

A few years after that when my nana asked what I wanted for my birthday, I remembered the sundews in the book, and asked her for what I thought was the impossible. I told her I wanted a sundew. She found me two, a capensis and filiformis. I was overjoyed!!! I loved them, they were the best birthday present I'd ever gotten, so far.

After that I bought another vft, and this one, despite nearly dying, managed to recover when I gave it to my nana to look after. After that I accidentally killed my filiformis sundew by over-watering while it was dormant. Then I was away. A few weeks later I bought my first sarr, which struggled along on my windowsill for nearly a year, with no red at all, until I finally put it outside and forgot to bring it in. It did better outside so I left it out there.

That was it, for nearly 8 months. I wasn't actually aware other carnivorous plants existed, well, I was aware but I didn't even think of going out and finding them. Then, at christmas, nearly a whole year later, I saw a Nepenthes in a supermarket and convinced my mum to buy it for me. After that I researched a little more, and realised there were sooo many more!!! I searched out a D. Arcturi, then a cephalotus and utric my mum bought me for my birthday. It was the end of my first year growing cp's. Since then I've had an influx of plants but I'll never forget those first few ones!!!

Well moo, i have an experiance exactly like yours lol. here is my story on how i got into CPs

I got into CPs at a young age when i first saw them in a school magazine, i did not start growing them till december of 2007 when i was getting picked up from a friends house one night, my mother said she had a surprise in the car, and sure enough, inside a bag from Safeway, was a large VFT, i put it on my windowsill, and read about them as much as possible, i began working part time at a local petstore called the Wild Side, which also carried some plants, mostly carnivorous plants, sure enough, i picked up a S. Dana's Delight, 3 Dionaea Dentate traps, and 2 D. Capensis, thats where it all started to begin. after a month or so of reading about as many CPs as i possibly could, i ordered my first Nepenthes from our beloved Andy(owner of this forum and Flytrapshop.com), The plant arrived, and did amazingly well. Shortly after, i received my first 2 pinguicula from a member of this forum(huy716), 2 P. Sethos, since then my list has grown incredibly well considering im a 17 year old who now works part time at Hot Topic lol.

A thread about venus flytraps on AR15.com back in December of 2007 or so.

Back