User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What got you into carnivorous plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What got you into carnivorous plants?

What got you into the wonderful world of Flesh-eating plants?

For me: I was in elementry school (5th grade back in 2000) and I saw Little Shop of Horrors. I then started looking for carnivorous plants for sale. First I would check out Home Depot and such, and I finally found a place that had some for sale. My first ever CP that I bought was a butterwort. It wasn't a Venus Fly Trap, so I kept looking and bought a Venus Fly Trap. They unfortunately died when I went to summer camp, but I went to buy more. I've been collecting them ever since.

What's your story?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What got me into it was when I was younger, I had bought a Venus Fly Trap, only to have it die. I was thinking about that, and did a Google search on Carnivorous Plants. I then found out about Nepenthes, did some research, and bought a Ventricosa. Then, soon after I rescued a fly trap from a local nursery. Soon after I bought a Cape Sundew (pictured in my avatar) from California Carnivores. All plants bought during my revived interest in Carnivorous Plants are currently flourishing!
    My Grow-List!
    "Somewhere in Texas a village is missing its idiot"
    -----------------------Unknown Bumper-Sticker-----

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    College Professor 8 years ago
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an uncle who is an old hippie botanist. As i was growing up he always had weird plants to show me growing in cookie jars, old empty aquariums and other glass vessels. One day he showed me a Nepenthes ventricosa and I totally lost my mind. It sent me on a quest to grow and own every species. i got close, for a while I had about 70 different Neps and three huge grow chambers but now I have none. Just an anole in a terrarium full of ferns and aroids.

Someday I will move from my condo and have a greenhouse or at least a whole room dedicated to growing Neps and other exotic plants again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was like 5 or 6 I got some VFT and Sarr seeds or something. I stratified them and planted them. I think some sprouted. They died. A few years later I got a VFT and didn't know how to water it right and teased it with toothpicks. It died. A few more years later I got this big plastic thing with a dome on top, in it was some Sarrs, Darlingtonia, and VFT. I am surprised at how long they all survived, because they were in a sealed dome that had so much condensation I couldn't see through it. One day I took off the top to feel the soil for wetness and it was very hot. They died. Now a few years later, this spring, my mom came home and told me she had a "special surprise" in the car. I went to the car and in the cupholder was a plastic cylinder with a VFT in it. I screamed and jumped around. I am older and smarter now, so I stayed up all night doing research and learned how to take care of it. The VFT was actually four plants, which to this day are in my mini bog.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepfreak. He was growing before me and I saw some of his and gradually became addicted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i bought a VFT in 99cent store and didnt want it to die.
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was talking to a friend about having owned a venus flytrap as a kid. We were on our way to Lowe's to pickup some straps and I found out they had carnivorous plants and I bought the 3 in 1 big death cubes. I got home started researching, ended up here and basically just started collecting them, since March of this year, I believe I'm up to something like 39 different types of carnivorous plants. its been fun

~b

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast